Is dinner time a struggle for you?

It seems mine will eat only chicken nuggets and quesidillas this drives me crazy.We have tried to eat other foods like manwich with ground turkey which she likes but geeze I wish this would stop!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my girls where that age. I would fix dinner. Put a plate of food in front of them. They would eat it or they wouldn't. If they didn't eat. They would just go hungry tell the next meal. If you do not give in to there picky ness. You would not have picky kids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Above poster, that is incorrect. Even if you don't give in to their picky-ness, you STILL will have picky kids.
    To OP, the only advice I have is to keep consistant. Make regular dinners, do try to find foods that make everyone a little happy, don't make seperate meals for the picky kid. They eat what everyone else does or they go hungry. Every dinner is a battle here, I've tried everything. My son either eats or goes hungry.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• That's what I started doing as they got older. I fix one dinner all of us eat. A main dish(meat of some sort), two veg and maybe some fruit. If they don't like it, they don't eat at all. They learn real quick you mean business, but you can't give in even once on this. Sure we have hamburger night or taco night occasionally, but when I fix regular dinner, they eat, or nothin. Sure they sometime whine about it still, but they don't wanna leave the table and their plates are always cleaned. lol
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Rachell9503.. You said the same thing I did. You just worded it differently.

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• no. dinner time or anytime is not a struggle for us. i have decided that adults don't eat things that they don't like so why should children? they are really people, just like us! my kids eat what they like from whatever is served. one eats only the meat. one eats everything but the meat. and one will pick and choose what he wants. i have no problem with one kid eating chicken soup if she doesn't want meatloaf.
    take her to the store with you, and ask her what she thinks she might like. prepared foods though, i kinda frown on resorting to only prepackaged and prepared foods. if it is all good food to begin with, i don't have a problem letting them eat whatever they want. Afterall, they watch their parents only eat what they like.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Stop feeding them junk. Children need to learn to eat a variety of healthy foods; they needs fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They also need parents who set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Offer them healthy snacks, like cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

I have lots of great recipes that are easy, healthy, tasty and family and budget friendly. Send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We do not eat chicken nuggets unless I make them home made.
    It is a struggle with us. I have 4 in school.
    My kids love spaghetti, any type of noodle with sauces, baked chicken, green beans, broccoli, roast. My kids are not picky but honestly I am not a short order cook so if they do not eat then they just do not eat. I do not have time to prepare what everyone wants. Now if I prepare something and they like more of one thing then I will give seconds but they know they have to eat what I prepare. No it is not wrong. Anyone who says it is spoils their children and I speak FIRMLY on this.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009