Is it wrong to toss my five month old in the air?

you know when you throw em in the air a bit not even more than a couple of inches? I think its okay shes been able to hold her neck since she was 2 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah just dont throw her so hard and catch her, my kids love it. my dd is almost 3 yrs old now and when her dad tosses in the air she flips around is funny.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• it can seperate the retina in some cases.
    Anonymous

• Just be really, really, careful. You do not want to give your baby SBS - shaken baby syndrome because you almost drop her and very forcefully and suddenly grab her close to you or in the process of catching her violently. Really it's better not to toss babies at all but if you do it make sure you are 100% stable, sturdy, not intoxicated at all or tired. Make sure no animals are in the room that could run under foot - because really it is verrryy different to trip and hold baby close in a falling situation when you're not already tossing baby in the air.
    Anonymous

• no it's really not ok, they're neck muscles aren't fully developed until they're about two years old and because their heads are so big in proportion to their bodies it can be really hard for them to control them when you throw them. There are cases where babies have gotten sbs or detached retinas, granted it doesn't happen to every baby every time, but you don't smoke around your kid and smoking doesn't cause cancer every time to every person...
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• but don't take my word for it ask your doctor or read a book on infant development
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Any doctor will tell you it's not okay. Anyone who works with children or study child development will also tell you it's not okay. BUT...I did it with both my kids, my sister does it with hers, my brother does it with his...all my friends did it with theirs....as long as your careful and you don't drop her i think you'll be okay, and you already thought it was okay, because you've done it, or do it...so why feel the need to come on here and risk having people come on here making you feel like a huge piece of crap for the way you play with your daughter? I dunno I just hate how people can make others feel like crap just because of the way they do things to make their child laugh. You're doin just fine in my opinion.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i do it with my 5 month old. he loves it and laughs.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009