How do I explain to my 7 year old that having 2 mommies is fine?

My 7 yr old was to draw a family pix at school & he drew me, my girlfriend, him & his brother right next 2 each other & his Biological father on the other side of the paper. When the teacher saw the pix she said he didnt have 2 show it 2 the class. He choose to and the kids made fun of him. What do I do?
Also he said that he misses his Daddy Michael which is my exhusband of 4 yrs not his bilogical. My exhusband Michael wants nothing 2 do with the boys after the divorce. My 7 yr old also asked"mommy when r u getting another man?" the problem is he keeps saying he misses his Daddy Micheal & I understand that, but it hurts me 4 him 2 say that infront of my girlfriend. What do I do & how do I explain 2 him that Im with her, Im not goin 2 be w a man again?
Last question....since there is no man in his life because my family is 2 hrs away...is it ok to have a gay male in substitute.? .I guess thats how u could put it.

mjnichols

Asked by mjnichols at 9:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him that there are many different types of families. Some have a mommy and daddy, some have 2 mommies or 2 daddies, some have 1 mommy or 1 daddy. Some live with grandparents, some are foster families. Every family is special and ok. A family is a group or people who care about each other and sometimes, the people in the family are not even related. There are many books out there that can help you explain your special family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Tell him that you love your girlfriend very much, and that two women (or men) can love each other just like a man and a women is. I do think that having a good male role model is good for a boy straight or gay. I also agree with PP.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Your kids need to know that all families are different. Some are made up of grandparents, some have friends who feel like family, some have cousins who live like brothers and sisters. There are a lot of books on the market now for all ages for families like yours. Do you have a good book store in your area?

http://www.amazon.com/Lesbian-Parents-Helping-Family-Healthy/dp/1572306637/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260329646&sr=1-1

Children need as many positive adult influences as possible. Gay or straight, male of female.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The first three responses are exactly what I would say! I hope they help you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The first three responses are great!
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2009