How soon can I give my daughter tummy time and how do I encourage her to lift her head during tummy time?

She gets fussy when I lay her on her tummy or she just falls asleep and I wonder if maybe I'm trying to start tummy time to early. If I'm not starting to early, how can I help her enjoy tummy time and stay awake during it?

Kianas_mommy

Asked by Kianas_mommy at 9:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tummy time should start ASAP-- to prevent the back of the head from mal formation and all sorts of problems...as long as YOU are awake to watch her let her sleep if she wants too on her tummy...however if you are not bright eyed and mindful of her safety pick her up ...
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Use toys to encourage her to reach for them and you could probably use toys to encourage her to keep her head up (if you dangle them in front of her). I would sit by her when she does tummy time and keep interacting with her so she doesn't fall asleep, until she's use to tummy time.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• how old is she? and it's never to early put her on your tummy and she will lift her head to see your face but she should be holding her head up to just look around atleast for a few seconds at a time my ds was holding his head up a day after he was born and has almost full control of it and he's not even 3 months yet
    Anonymous

• Just because anonymous's baby held his head up on day one doesn't mean all babies do. My son held his head up right away, then my daughter was really floppy for a long time. They're all different.
    Anyway, one thing my babies liked was to be on my stomach, so I would lay down on my back and put them on my stomach then if they try to lift their head up they get to see my face. Or if you lay down next to her so that she can try to look at you she might like that too. Don't worry if it's really short or if she falls asleep, just keep doing it and she'll get better. Babies all develop at different rates, some hold their heads up right away and roll over right away and others don't.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You can start tummy time right away. Babies are never too young for tummy time!! My neice was the same way...still is she's 9 months old and hates to be on her tummy. When you have her on her belly, roll up a recieving blanket and put it like under her chest and armpits....and put a little pressure with your hand on the small of her back, almost her butt...put toys in front of her, shake things around, light up toys, something that will keep her attention so she wont get so upset. Good luck.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Be aware that some babies will NEVER like tummy time. Mine hated it. I gave up puttoing him on the floor...tummy time was on MY tummy or not at all.

If he got an hour of tummy time in his infancy, that was a lot. But the doc was never concerned about it and it didn't seem to have any impact. He never crawled...jsut went right to walking.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter didn't like tummy time at all until she was about 4 months old, and even then it was for only short periods of time. I would still give her a bit every day and she started gaining control of her head fairly quickly, but this isn't the case with every baby. Every baby is different. She really started loving tummy time around 5-6 months once she started pulling herself around with her arms. Just keep at it. It may help to add, though that she also couldn't stand to be on her back for longer than a diaper change either. She always just wanted to be held, and when she did start sleeping on her own (*gasp* oops we co-slept until she was 3 months.) we had the okay from her doctor to let her sleep on her side with one of those baby wedge things to keep her from rolling over. Now she is 11 months and sleeps on her tummy with her butt up in the air!
    callahancn

Answer by callahancn at 8:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son hates tummy time. The only way he will stay on his tummy is if he is on my tummy. I hold him up right against my shoulder so he can work on holding his head up and it works. He can look around if you move and explore.
    so1986

Answer by so1986 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009