new foods?

My son is almost 8 months old. I was told by his doctor that he is ready to try any new foods. I was wondering on the gerber stuff it says alot of it is for crawlers. My son never liked being on his stomache and hates trying to crawl he gets mad everytime I try to get him to. I was wondering becouse he is almost 8 months old, is he ready for the crawler foods? They say that some babies never crawl and I think he might be one of them. He loves walking and loves for you to hold his hands and let him walk around the house or be in his walker so I think he might go straight to walking. So I was wondering if you try the crawler foods and small finger foods at what age did you start them? I know the doctor says he can but he almost choked on something we were told by the doctoer he could have so was wondering since its been almost 2 months since then I think he is ready. So for moms with experiance I was wondering what age you start

Newmommys101

Asked by Newmommys101 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son never crawled and started walking the day before he turned 8mths; your son sounds like he's not going to be a crawler. Just because he's not a crawler doesn't mean he's not old enough for crawler food though. He's plenty old enough. Just make sure everything is in small pieces and nothing hard.
    Anonymous

• Babies need to crawl. Babies who go straight to walking end up with problems.
    Anonymous

• nope, babies that go straight to walking do not end up with problems. I went straight to walking and everything is fine. Do you FORCE your children to crawl, lay them down everytime they wanted to walk and tell them they can not get up till they crawl?

It is just trial and error. Try a food, if they handle it awesome, if not..wait a week or so. A week can make a world of difference. lightly toasted bread works really well.
    Anonymous

• I would hold off on the chunky foods for now util he get used to chewing and swallowing. Get the crawler foods, try one type of fruit per 48hrs just incase of allergic reaction(makes it easier to pin point the type of allergy depending on the fruit, same with juice), add rice cereal to the fruit for texture(hence the motion to attempt chewing). I started feeding my kds baby food when the bottle wasn't enough(a couple right after 4 months, they were chunky babies but are thinner now). I would continue to consult with doc but go by your baby and his interests/needs(sometimes the doc is wrong, but you can't tell them that!). I think your baby will be just fine, h seems healthy because if he weren't you would have mentioned it, so continue doing what you're doing!!! Good luck!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My son is very healthy and my doctor says that there is nothing wrong with a baby that dont crawl becouse at some point in his life he will even if its when he is 5 and playing with toys or whatever. I didnt ask if he should crawl or not. I asked when can you start to crawl and when did you introudce finger foods that are for the crawlers. This isnt a debate on should he crawl or not.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies don't crawl.

Regarding foods, there is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com and here www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009