If Religion Is A Personal Choice?

WHY is it that people feel they have the right to indoctrinate their children with their religion, teaching that it is the one true path to happiness?

As a whole, I prefer that religion escape my children until they are teens- I will not allow them to attend church, or any religious gathering. I also do not push MY agenda (Atheism) in an effort to leave them untainted. They have (IMO) the RIGHT to choose a religion (or not) once they are old enough to make an informed decision...

SO- For those who claim that religion is a personal choice, why would it be OK for you to indoctrinate your child?

Xitans not need answer... we ALL know what you're going to say.
I am interested in all "Heathen" religions... (:

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Seems to me you want only biased answers.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I AM looking for answers from like minded individuals- it does not seem to bother anyone when a Xitan askes for scriptural support. so, in turn please respect my need for knowledge.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Actually I agree with you. While we've been trying to educate our children (8,7,2) about all religions, we try not to make any one sound better than the rest. We would like to leave that up to the children for when they are old enough to make an informed, educated choice.
    Anonymous

• Oh darn, I'm Anon 10:29, I didn't mean to hit Anon.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• How can you ask a question about people who indoctrinate their children but don't want their input? Makes no sense. It would seem you would want to know exactly what is on their mind from their experience not what others think they are thinking.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If you don't' teach your kids about any religion then they won't be informed to make an informed decision.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I really don't try to indoctrinate my kids in any particular faith. We're a religiously eclectic family. Both dh and I feel we would be doing the kids a disservice by teaching 'one right way'- we would essentially be telling them that 3/4 of their family is completely wrong! So we do try to draw from a variety of faiths whenever topics like God or beliefs or the afterlife comes up. I also don't require that the rest of my family have the same spiritual practices as I do... for instance, I'm a vegetarian but neither dh or the kids are. They know why I choose not to eat meat, I leave their individual choices up to them. I hope that my kids grow to be kind, compassionate people. Beyond that, what faith (if any) they choose to embrace really doesn't matter to me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I guide my children in Paganism. They will have a good understanding of what i believe but they will also know that i am accepting of all peaceful religions. My older DS is already asking me about Buddhism (he's only 5). My aunt has taken him to church as well. And my IL's are Christian and i'm sure will want to teach them about Jesus when they get older (they currently don't ask any questions about Jesus and have even told me He is boring).
    Of course, i also tell them that some people don't believe in any kind of god at all.
    When they ask me questions i give them multiple answers. When my mom died and DS1 (who is legally my brother) asked me what happened to her i told him some people believe ___ and others believe ___ and still others believe ___ and i believe ____ but there are lots of people who believe lots of different things.
    I want them to be well informed and prepared before they enter high school.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think its important to teach your children about your faith. When they get older if they feel that they dont want to follow our religion, then so be it.

Proverbs 22:6 (King James Version)

6Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    Anonymous

• As Christians we are to raise our children the way God wants us to in His word and to be Christian examples to them. If you truly believe in religious freedom how we raise our children is really none of your business. Please don't think I am trying to be rude to you because I am not. I will raise my children in a Christian home and tell them that what we believe is the truth because according to the Bible it is truth. When I became a Christian I instantly knew it to be truth because of how God has transformed me and He shows me daily that He is with me. My children will be raised according to God's word but that doesn't make them Christians, they get to make the choice to accept Jesus as their savior or reject Him when that decision comes to them personally. I can't make them accept Him that is everybody's personal decision. The Bible doesn't say if you are raised in a Christian home you will be saved....
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009