Have I gained to much for how far along I am???

Went to the DR. today, I am 25 weeks and found out I have gained 20# !! Is that alot for where I am? My Dr. said she likes to see only 30# weight gain the whole pregnancy but how is that possible now I still have 15 weeks left??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 10:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I really don't think there is a right weight. Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different. With my first pregnancy I only gained 16# the whole time, but with my second pregnancy I gained 45#. So i wouldnt worry too much as long as the baby's health is not compromised. I can say I lost all the weight both times fairly easily so it is more important to stay active and make healthy eating habits. Don't sweat it too much and enjoy being pregnant. : )
    JillianF

Answer by JillianF at 10:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You could be full of water, you could be constipated (full of poop), you could be wearing heavy clothes... so many possibilities.

Try to eat fewer carbs and really cut back on dairy. Bulk up on raw fruits and veggies and lean proteins. Those are the foods that give you most of your baby nutrients. Those are the foods that will make you feel full and curb insane cravings. Drink tons and tons of water.

Do you feel you are gaining too much? Did you start your pregnancy over weight? Does your body feel bad?

A fit woman who is about 5'6 needs about 1500-1700 calories per day to maintain weight if she exercises 3x each week. That same woman needs 300 extra calories daily when pregnant.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I am 5'11" and wasn't overweight before becoming pregnant. I Don't eat terrible but this time of year is hard to not have a few goodie snacks here and there. This is my 1st pregnancy so I feel heavy cause I have never been this big but my belly didn't show until about 2 weeks ago. How do you know if its just water weight??
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Everyone is different hun, I am at 33.3 weeks and Ive gained almost 50 pounds. I know some women can get gestational diabetes so I would ask a doctor about that. Other than that it happens and its normal. Try not to stress hun you'll be just fine.
    Good luck with the baby.
    Emo_mommy

Answer by Emo_mommy at 12:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You'll probably gain more than 30 lbs. Everyone is different, don't let the numbers bug you. Just eat as healthy as possible.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 12:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• im 37 weeks and have only gained 17lbs. My friend is 33 weeks pregnant and gained about 35-40lbs. It depends on the person and their body
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• everyone gains a different amount. just eat as healthy as you can and try to be active, like go for walks or go swimming. some women gain 70 lbs and then lose it all in a year. i know a very thin woman who gained 70 lbs with twins but a year later she was quite thin again. imo that weight gain was what her body needed and what was healthy for her kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I am towards the opposite spectrum of where you are.. I dont gain weight easily. I am 31 weeks and have gained only 7 pounds so far. This time I am more at ease because I had the same thing happen last time, I gained only 12 pounds in all but my baby weighed 7 pounds. But last time they scared the hell out of me that I was going to have a baby with low birth weight.. perhaps less than 5 pounds!!!.... so I think its actually re-assuring to gain more weight LOL...
    As everyone else have said, it just depends on your body and is different for each person. My sister in law was about the same size and weight as me but she gained more than 50 pounds during her pregnancy and yet had a 7lb 2oz baby.. almost like mine. So dont think too much about it...as long as you dont have gestational diabetes, its o.k to gain weight.
    Anonymous