Going back to work, she won't take bottle.

I am going back to work on Monday. The first month will be basically full time for training. My daughter is 13 weeks old, and HATES the bottle. I have a supply built up in the freezer. There have been several times that we needed her to bottle feed. Once in a blue moon she'll drink an oz or less, but it takes a long time, and alot of fussing. There are 2 schools of thought on how to get her to take a bottle, and I need help deciding which to use. Do I offer a bottle when she's not starving in hopes that she'll take it easier. Or do I exclusively offer the bottle until she gets SO hungry that she takes it? I need her to learn, but it kiills me to think of her going hungry!! Please help!!

km1217

Asked by km1217 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have someone other than yourself offer the bottle.
    Anonymous

• you can use a spoon, eye dropper or cup. see http://www.drjacknewman.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• DS NEVER took to the bottle. He flipped his schedule where he would nurse all afternoon and night and wouldn't eat when I was at work. Same thing happened to my cuzins baby. They are SOOoooo smart ;)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• YOU do NEITHER.

YOU hand her to the caregiver and head off to work.

Breastfed babies often refuse bottles given by mom. It's a waste of mom's time to do bottle rhearsals...they are generally doomed to failure.

When hungry she WILL eat. If you want to do a dress reheasral, do it one day this week. Hand her over and take off.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Let someone else give her the bottle, with you out of sight.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• ditto to the above. i had to cut my answer short to attend to baby.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009