Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


hi everyone my son is pdd-nos and he is four years old, great kid and has his days like any other would, i have been teaching him lately how to spell and write his name, which is jonathan but im starting slow with jon, he knows how to spell it but writes it backwards (noj) could he have dislexia or is that common for a child with pdd-nos , thanks


Asked by mzmamiof3 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Many typical young kids get letters and words backwards when they are first learning. His letters aren't anything to worry about. PDD-NOS IS an actual diagnosis, it just means he has some but not all of the characteristics of autism - but PDDNOS is on the spectrum.

    Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • pdd-nos isn't really anything. It means he might be on the spectrum for some developmental disorders. Might. I would talk to his doctors about that though. he may be dyslexic, but the only way to find out and get him help is talk to the doctors. Good luck.

    Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • Like the other poster said pdd-nos is just a diagnosis that they use, especially for young kids, when they aren't sure exactly what is going on. Give it a little while then push for full developmental testing and diagnosis. Understand that dyslexia is much much more than writing. It involves the processing of written language, so it often affects both reading and writing, but not spoken language. So it maybe hard to get that diagnosis until he is much older.

    Answer by teamquinn at 11:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

  • It is common for a young child to write letters backwards, even a gifted child

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Given that he's been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum (my nephew was also given the same diagnosis), I'm assuming you are working with a team of developmental specialists and/or doctors. I'd bring this to their attention. If it isn't somehting to worry about, they'll know that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009