DD is almost 4, won't go to sleep or stay in her bed

My DD is almost 4. We start bedtime at the same time every night (8 pm). Brush teeth, pj's, read stories, hugs, etc.. I keep it routine.

She refuses to stay in her bed. I put her back atleast 10 times a night. She talks to her imaginary friend. Gets out of bed to get toys. Turns her light on. Cries for another drink of milk. Has to go pee. Says she's hungry. Anything you can think of. This goes on until 10pm or after every single night.

By that time I am exhausted, angry, and I wind up yelling at her. You can't force a child to go to sleep, what am I to do? I'm at my wits end..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is she still taking a nap? if so she may not be tired for bed....my little girl did the same thing at this age (almost to the T) and i took her nap away and it helped...also..i moved heer bedtime to 7 instead of eight....because if i had to fight with her for an hour to go to sleep at least it would be 8 or 9 and not 10 or 11 by the time she did sleep....
    Anonymous

• How about laying down the rule that she doesn' t have to go to sleep - but she has to stay in her room. That'll give her a little control over the situation, but if she comes out or asks you for anything after you leave the room - She will be punished the next day - by maybe taking a special toy away - or not getting to watch her favorite TV show. It worked for me - at that age it may take several days but once the consequences sink in - her behavior should change.
    toastmama

Answer by toastmama at 12:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I know what you mean. My daughter is the same way. I have tried not allowing her to nap which has helped a little bit. One thing i do (and if you dont agree please don't bash me) is i put a door knob cover on her side of the door. While it doesn't force her to sleep, it does keep her in her room. I don't keep alot of toys in her room so she gets bored easier and gives in. and, once she falls asleep, I do remove the cover so that she can get up and come get me if she needs to. Also, try some soothing music...or johnsons bedtime bath wash and lotion....it helps calm them. If you feel yourself getting angry, maybe just walk away for a few minutes and relax, once you feel calm, go back and try again. I think it's just a phase...her cousin who is also 3 is the same way!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009