Officially a shitty kind of day, should i be worried should i call the doc?

Okay my son will be 9 months old on the 12th of december, and he started shitting his brains out last nite, first diaper at 10:00 pm all the way up his back, this moring 6:30 am all the way up his back, 11:00pm just got done chaning him all the way up his back. I haven't changed anything in his diet, nothing unusual, no temp really 99.1 is pretty normal for him considering he's teething and he's getting tylenol for it. He seems to be sleeping alot more in the past 2 days, no coughing, no runny nose, I'm just worried about dehydration, should i call the doctor and make an apt for him tommrow? should i call the doctor tonite? Can i give him pedialyte to help him from getting dehydrated at this young age? Any comment would be great. Thank you in advance.

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did he eat something different? Or touch something yucky and then touch his mouth?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• teething can cause diarrhea in some kids.....i my friends son never failed every time he cut a tooth he had horrible diapers.....keep him hydrated...and watch his temp he should be fine...if it lasts more than 3 days or gets worse call the doc to be safe...
    Anonymous

• It could just be from the teething. If I understand correctly - he only had two with diarrhia (sp?) today? As long as he is drinking plenty of fluids it doesn't seem like you need to be concerned about dehydration.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It could be from the teething or a bug. Pedialyte is used in babies as young as 3mths. If within 3 days no change, or a fever developes about 101.3 call doc. Teething is rough process for a baby so you will go through double the amount of stinky diapers and it going up the back probably until the tooth starts cutting through the gum to the point where its just above the gum itself. Don't ever hesitate to call the doc if you're concerned because they can reasure you! But pedialyte is fine!!!! Sorry you gus are suffering, but better and more fun days are ahead!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• idk mine never crapped like that while teething. He/she might have a boo boo tummy :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Mine produced massive amounts of voodoo chili during teething. Every tooth, every time. When there were multiple teeth coming in, there was exponential output. It was horrific. I agree with 11:14.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son poohs like that every time til his tooth comes in. Careful not to give him anything that could potentially upset his stomach at the same time. I stupidly gave my LO a perogie for the first time (he is 15 months) when he was getting a tooth and.. oh.. my.. god... talk about double pooping whammy!! I will never forget the smell. lol

I figure as long as his eyes / mouth is not dry (good solid sign of impending or certain dehydration) and is not too feverish and is not having any other issues.. it is the teething and it's fine. Give pedialyte and nurse/bottle slightly more often if the diaper count seems to dip. PP said if 3 days goes by and no let-up call the doc. Yup.
    Anonymous

• Call the doctor if you're unsure. He might just recommend giving him a bottle of water to help replenish his fluids. Also, if you're close to the next size up in diapers I would switch to the bigger size, at least until the problem is solved, it might help absorb more.
    Anonymous