Do you teach your children that religious paths other than your own are wrong or improper?

Why or Why not??

**Keep it civil please! This is for my research!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My daughter is almost 2 so shes really too young to do this yet, but no I will not teach my daughter that. Personally I believe that there is some right in every religion/path, and the plan is too focus on what the faith we personally practice has in common with other faiths, and too embrace the similarities rather than dwell on differences.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Nope. I am teaching my daughter about all faiths. The only things I will teach her about religion that is wrong is hate and trying to push your beliefs on others. I would be disappointed if she ever chose to just blindly follow any path with out questioning it first.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 11:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• no. our church teaches and says that we are to be tolerate and accept other peoples choice to believe what they want to believe but we should try to let them learn of the gospel should they ask or want to know more. mainly by being an example and living our lives by true values and morals that reflect our beliefs. children or adults should never ever feel or love their neighbor less then himself or herself.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No, because I don't believe that all other paths are wrong or improper!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes and no....can I answer like that? lol I have never and will never use the word "wrong." Of course I feel like I know what is right and wrong and I can freely express that but in a graceful manner. I understand that everyone wants acknowlegment and to be sympathized with, even if you disagree completely. I use questions as my way of teaching my kids or I will say I disagree or that I dont think like that or "mama doesnt do it like that." It will never be my intentions to make someone ashamed of what they believe because I would not want to be treated in that manner.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I do not tell my children others are "wrong"
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If my 15yo kid wants to go to lets say to a catholic church function that a classmate invited her to, i wouldnt say yes or no. I'd tell them to think about it and if they really wanted to go, i'd let them. They know how i feel and what they have been tought. So far, my kid has not been tempted to go to anything that goes against our religion. i want my kids to love God, I dont want to force them, i guide them, teach them and when they are older, they make their decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I will tell my children that these ways are not the ways of God. But I hope to not make out other religions to seem evil or scary. I will let them study into other religions if they so desire. You can't force someone into a religion. Well you can but the heart is not in it. There fore it's pointless. It's a personal choice, most who are raised in a religion tend to stay in it. But it was their choice, if they are forced they hate it. 99% of the people I have talked to and myself included who were forced HATE it. But as far as if they are wrong yes, imo they are. Because I believe in the one true God, Elohim. I cannot believe that there exists another god/goddess. I mean no disrespect, just my belief.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i havent taught my DD squat about religion yet, but i dont plan on telling her other religions are wrong. i want her to feel comfortable enough to find her own way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No I don't teach them that it is wrong, I actually expose them to many beliefs and encourage them to ask questions. I want my children to grow up understanding that everyone has the right to choose their own path and just because it isn't what my kids might choose it does not make others wrong.

I have many close friends who are pagan, Wiccan, Jewish, Mormon, and the list goes on. In our own family we have catholic, Mormon, baptist, and non-denominational. Personally I was raised a christian and still hold to much of what i was raised to believe but as I got older I found that I was more comfortable with much of the pagan beliefs as well, later I learned that a small part of my family that i was not raised with is pagan. This does make life being married to a baptist very interesting but I believe it has taught my children that it is okay to seek out their own path.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2009