For ladies with big, active dogs...

I am having a guilt trip over my dog, a very large and sweet male rough collie. He is three years old, and so at his peak as far as activeness and restlessness. We have a big yard, and in nice weather (spring, summer, fall) I was taking him out and playing fetch w/ him everyday, as well as walking him over a mile almost every day. But we live in the north, so it is now very, very cold (our high temp today was 7 degrees), and so walking and playing outside is out of the question. But my dog is so active, the lack of exercise is obviouslydriving him insane. Other than the treadmill (we tried it - he's scared s***less of it) does anyone have any tips on how to keep a big dog happy when he can't have walks and run in the yard? He's a very emotional dog, so I can just tell he is having a hard time - he almost seems depressed... He's too big to play w/ in the house, and won't go out to play alone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• do you have stairs? i sometimes throw toys up the stairs and have them bring them down rather then going outside for whatever reason. pretty good work out and can be fun.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Is your yard not fenced in? Can you let him out on a lead? Get a running cage for him to run in? I had a St. Bernard inside because of health reasons, but I lived in the country and she could go out loose.
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OP - Yeah, our yard is fenced, but like I said in the OP he doesn't LIKE to play alone. He'll go out and pee or whatever, bark... But then he comes right back in and wants me to come out with him, or gets underfoot or in my way on purpose (that's a curse of herding breeds) and is obviously telling me, "I'm bored! I'm bored! Play with me! I'm bored!" like a toddler.
    And yes, we have stairs, but he has hip dysplasia so stairs are hard on him...
    Anonymous

• We have a french mastiff so here's what our trainer told us (aside from his regular walks): Get those big red kong balls. Put dry food inside and seal it with wet food or peanut butter. They use up some energy trying to get the food out. I would sit my baby at the window to watch him play with his toy. It entertained both the baby and the dog LOL!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I had a weimaraner. She was Very Very hyper. We got a kong toy, and filled it with the food. Its supposed to stimulate them mentally and physically because theyre trying to figure out how to get the food out and playing with it at the same time!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• OP - How DO those Kong balls work, anyway? I've seen them, but I don't get it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have a lab and I finally broke down and got her a small hyper puppy to play with. That solved that problem for me
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They lick the PB/wet food until they can get the dry food out. They will turn it over and over until they get every single kiblet out. You'd think they can't do it, but they CAN!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2009