Career Change at 40

I need a career change and don't know which direction to turn. Background: I am a preschool teacher and sort of fell into this position after becoming a mom. I am discouraged by my job and don't love it any more like I used to. I am definitely losing interest. I need help to figure out what else I can do? During my career as a preschool teacher I have gone back to school for dental assistant, first aid/cpr intstructor, makeup artist, these just to name a few. All failed attempts at trying to find something that sticks. To do something new I need to find something I love and that I'm good at, and that interests me. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• What do you love that interests you but is realistic for making some money? Sometimes money made at a so-so job allows you to put your energy and talents into things you really like. For me, it's travel. I quit being a travel agent because the pay sucked. Instead I worked for doctors who paid twice the amount and so I was able to travel the globe.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• jeanclaudia, what do you do?
    Anonymous

• Go to your local library and pick up a copy of "What Color is Your (it might be my, it's been a while) Parachute"

Remember, you have many "soft skills" that will easily translate into another role: you probably have computer skills, you certainly have management and logistics, etc.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well, I am 40 too. After reading I saw you answered your own question. For the past 6 1/2 years I have been in business for myself. And have learned you MUST do what you love. If not you will continue to jump around in different jobs, businesses or careers. Many times we think it is about having the right job but I what I have found that it is giving value and receiving so much more. We all can tell you what we think. But you must find something you love to do and go from there. I wish you all the best.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I switched at 41 - quit my FT job due to terrible boss, long commute, craziness in my house and completely not happy with what I was doing. I ended up finding a product that I fell in love with and knew I could make that business a success - it's high in demand, consumable, exactly where the market is going. When you love something so much, your excitement gets others excited. Good luck with your searching. Do what you love!!!
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 4:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009