Is there anything that will help me sleep and subside my anxiety?

ok, I have PTSD, PAWS, and PPD. I am a nursing mother of a 8 1/2 mo. I have been experiencing severe anxiety lately and it is affecting many relationships including my marriage and my relationship with my baby because I feel she can sense when I am upset and sometimes the stress is so bad I stop producing milk for a feeding or 2. When I gave up alcohol (amoung other things) I was put on zoloft (anti-depressent), risperdel (anti-phychotic), and rosarum (sleep aid). So when I found out I was pregnant 4 months later (when I was a month preggo) I stopped everything (including cigs) the begining of my pregnancy was rough so to say, but as I became farther along it got better, and I so looked forward to being a mother! Well, I had my dd and love her more than anything, but emotions were flying. I never wanted to hurt her, in fact i try so hard to do everything right and for her I get so stressed... (con't)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Health

• You can still be on anti-depressants and breastfeed. Go talk to your doctor, you need to take care of you with out feeling guilty. I had PPD, I know this all too well. Once you get the help you need, whether medicine or even couseling, you will feel like a much better parent...than trying to go it with out aid of anything. Good luck mama.
    Anonymous

• OP here: con't: when something doesn't go perfectly according to plan... like if she skips a nap or a feeding I'm freakin out. I failed 3 PPD screenings, but refused to be put back on meds because I'm BF. Anyway, my main question is: IS there anything I can be taking to help me one while safely BF.... two (because I prolly will wait another 4 months until dd is weaned) something that is non-habit forming that can help my anxiety and help me sleep... but not make me like not be able to wake up if my dd needed me for whatever reason in the middle of the night (she only ever woke up in the middle of the night once since she was 2 mo, but I'm just saying just in case.... guess I'm parrinoid) any suggestions?
    Anonymous

• Two sisters of mine bf while taking anti depressants and the kids are teens now and so far, no issue. But, have you tried meditation or acupuncture? Also, part of the issue is the hormone hell. Many of us have been in your shoes. Just hang in there, you can't control it all and if the day doesn't go as planned, it will all be okay. It happens, it just does.
    Anonymous

• Its not easy to be a new mom with mental issues and off the meds. Try journaling, talking to your dd(sometimes its nice just to vent without neg feedback or "you're crazy for thinking that way"!!!), taking a walk after she's settled just before you try to go to bed, a hot bath or shower(depending on preffernce) with candle light and soft music. I hate to say this but you might need to stop breast feeding and get back on your meds. Your health is more important than hers right now because you need to be functioning at 150% right now just to take care of her, and if mommy doesn't take care of mommy then she can't take care of her baby!!!! It sucks to end breast feeding but if the benefits out weigh the bond you have built through it, then its worth it!!!! I wish you the best!!!! Good luck and take care!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• anon :43 here, I was on Lexapro while breastfeeding. It was wonderful. I know not all anti-depressants work for all people. I have a friend who had PPD who went on Paxil and it worked better for her than Lexapro, she was also breastfeeding. I nursed my daughter until she was 2. I went off the Lexapro when she was around 14 months. She's totally fine and it's safe. I also had panic attacks like you describe, like if one little thing went wrong. My doctor never mentioned giving me anything for anxiety, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Mostly when I felt a wave of anxiety coming on, my husband would just come to me and we'd calmly talk or he'd take the baby for a while, his mom would come help, etc. We'd just try to find the root of the issue for that moment and go in a different direction. It's important for you to surround yourself with supporting people if possible. Bless your heart. I'm so sorry you are havign to go thru this.
    Anonymous

• I think zoloft is the safest thing you can take while bf. As long as your not night feeding try tylenol pm or advil pm(not lunesta or ambien), you could also talk to your pharmacist and see what they might suggest as far as over the conter meds go for bf safety. Speak to your ob about options too because your phsyciatrist will tell you to stop bf and get back on the meds.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OP here: I don't see a therapist anymore. I stopped a couple weeks before I had dd. My counceling was paid by the VCCB (victims of a crime compensation board) but it's just all such a hassel to keep contacting them to get my bills paid... it's been 4 1/2 years since "the incident" and each time I have to contact them it makes my anxiety worse because I feel like I'm living in my past and have to revisti certain horrib;e memories I'd rather not (I stopped seeking therapy once before and that's when I started to selpf medicate, then I got clean and went back to therapy until I had my dd) I haven't gone back since... but I'm just super scared to take anything BF
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was on Zoloft wil breast feeding and researched it before hand. It doesn't get into the baby's system at all according to my research and according to all my midwives and Dr's. It helped my tremendously. You're baby needs you to be better.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would speak to my doctor. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If your doctor gives you the green light to take zoloft while BF then go for it. But check with the doctor first.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009