what to do when battling depression?

how can i cope without meds....i have had alot of traumatic thing happen to me the last few months....and i am now battling depression because of these occurrences....any suggestions with out meds...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Health

• Well I am the same way I dont like taking meds either because sometimes the side affects are worse then the depression lol but I have been depressed alot and battling anxiety often. The most helpful thing I have found is to find comfort somewhere if its your SO,Close Friends,Family anyone you can really trust and can talk about anything to and get it all off your chest if I did not do that I could not live sometimes you have to vent and it is ok to do so . If that doesn't work and you still feel depressed try to get out and do things as often as possible even when you dont feel like it . Go to the park for an hour by yourself and read or play games or just do what makes oyu happy for an hour a day or something .I hope this helps sweetie I am with ya on depression because of things that have happened in the past few months and know how hard it is .I hope this helps and you find peace and happiness soon(:
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Honestly meds are about the best thing for depression. You can also try to find someone to talk to when you are feeling like you are at the end of your rope.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you want to take medication? You can eventually wean off of them...they help tremendously. You can also talk to a counselor which will help too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• op here....i am afraid to take meds ...because of the side effects...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Talking to someone you trust can sometimes help, talk with a therapist, you can also try St.Johns Wart, I heard it was good for depression, you could look it up, I've thought about trying it myself, we have been trying to adopt for 9 months, and it has been a roller coaster of emotions for me, I also know reading my Bible has helped a lot. I'll be praying for you...
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Find brightly lit, uplifting places, force yourself to be around people even if you don't want to be bothered, learn your patterns(dates, anniversaries, any kind of trigger really), eat some chocolate(dark) because it releases endorphins, get an mp3 player, load it with uplifting music or beats and go for a stroll, get out of the house as much as possible(easier said than done I know but doable!!!), talk it out to someone understanding and non-judgemental(friend, relative, or even a help line like lifeline if you prefer to talk to a stranger via phone). Never lose hope, but if you find yourself wanting "out, wishing you'd just die, or you feel like you have nothing to live for, you need to seek mental health therapy!!! Good luck and God bless
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• would the side effects be worse than your current symptoms with out them?
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Journaling all your feelings and talking with a counselor helps too
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My sister faught being on medication for years till she figured out the side effects could not be worse than her being misirable. I understand you not wanting the medication but in my sisters case it helped her not be so hard on herself.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you try medication on top of counseling it might be helpful because perhaps they can monitor you a bit more if they see you on a weekly basis. If there are side effects you can discuss it with them and they will be able to help you from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2009