Will they take him EARLY??

ok so I have had asthma for nearly 17 years. Its really bad, I have had to use my inhaler and nebulizer ever hour to hour in a half... I am about 34 weeks, and am thinking of asking them to take him out before this affects him. (yes I am thinking of my son first, because if I cant breathe he probably isnt getting enough oxygen either.) I dont mean this week, but see if he'd give the shots to mature his lungs and have him the weekend after next. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you should wait as long as possible. Not only is induction no fun, but your baby needs to grow as long as possible.However, you know your body and if you are having that much trouble breathing the definitely bring it up, the worst he could say is no.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 12:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and not just so he will be here to show off at Christmas! If your OB was concerned, he would have already brought it up to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• OP HERE
    I have just started this in the last two weeks, and I am worried for my son... I am gonna ask, and I am not doing it to show him off at XMAS, I am doing it cause I dont want my uncontrolled asthma to hurt him... I really am not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can always talk to your doctor, but unless the baby is showing signs of distress they'll probably want to let him stay put for as long as possible. While you may be having trouble breathing due to limited space for your lungs to expand coupled with asthma that doesn't mean for sure he's having issues too. Our bodies tend to give more to our babies than they take for ourselves.
    SweetCamoMama

Answer by SweetCamoMama at 12:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was in the hospital for almost a week due to my asthma when I was pregnant with the twins. I was on everything and still could not breathe comfortably, and thought they would take the twins early just to alleviate the pressure they caused on my lungs, but it didn't work that way!!! The doctors feel that if we can supply enough oxygen to get to them then we suffer til the bitter end!!! I carried my dt up to 38wks and that was due to the water being low around my girl twin!!! I wish they took into consideration of how we can't comfortably breathe but they are more worried about the benefits of the unborn baby and rightly so! The only way you will be induced is if your babies life is at risk! I'm sorry and hope you feel better way before you give birth!!! Good luck. Oh, check to see if its an allergy flare-up or an underlying issue!!! (mine was due to an allergy flare-up)
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have asthma and had one hell of a time carrying my son. To top it off, he was a big baby so that really made issues worse. I was in and out of the doctor and hospital for breathing treatments. I even had to have a nebulizer at home. It sucked but it was worth having a healthy baby.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My twins were born at 34 weeks and they were pretty small. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a doc to do what you're asking. Your baby would ikly end up needing extra care at the hospital so you wouldn't get to take baby home right away.

Stay on track and let that baby cook till the timer goes off!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The doctor wont induce til 39 weeks.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The baby gets its oxygen from the umbilical cord/placenta...So unless you are literally suffocating to death, the baby will still get oxygen. Our bodies take from us and give to the baby first.
    You are *probably* having a flare up just because the baby is taking up so much room and making it harder for your lungs to expand. Good luck mama and hang in there! The best thing for baby really is to let him cook as long as possible!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• well none of us know enough about your medical condition, we all just know the same thing you know, that the longer a baby stays in the less likely he will be to have breathing problems in most cases. you will have to consult doctors about your specific case. if you have a good doctor, s/he will be able to help you decide which is less risky for your baby. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009