would you take him in????

My son is 12 months old. He has had a bad cough and runny nose for a week now. But he was at the doctor twice last week. Tuesday for a well baby check up, then thrusday for his cough. But the doc said just a cold. But its been a week without a fever or anything. And all the sudden today he was kinda cranky and had a fever of 102 when I got home at 3:30. Gave tylenol and it went down. At 7 it went back up to 102.5. Gave tylenol and put him to bed. I really hate to be a burden to the doctor, and were also getting a blizzard right now. Would you call the doc again or wait it out? If he has a fever in the morning I want to call, but I was also told im over reacting. So what would you do?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well this is flu season and with this being a child i wouldn't risk it. i would call the doctor and if that doesnt help i would go to the nearest ER. i'm a mom of two and i would do all that i can to make sure its nothing serious. good luck and i hope he feels better soon.
    tamieka18

Answer by tamieka18 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• As long as the fever is controlled with tylenol or motrin, and he isn't having any issues breathing, keep him home. It sounds like a cold. My son's had a cough for over a week now and it's just starting to clear up. Have you tried a humidifier in his room at night? That will help loosen anything up if he has any chest congestion. I always put Baby Vick's on my son's chest, back, and feet at night when he's got a cough. Seems to help the coughing.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It sounds like a virus (kind of up and down); if it changes, and he gets progressively worse, then it may be a bacterial infection that the doctor may need to treat.

For now, get some elderberry syrup, keep him well hydrated, if you are still breastfeeding, let him nurse whenever he wants

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I agree with PP. So long as you are able to control the fever with meds and he can still breath fairly well, I wouldn't stress too much. When my son would get snotty I would use the bulb syringe to get the mucus out, at that age he couldn't blow his nose yet, so I had to do something to get it clear. We also would steam up the bathroom really well and play in there for a little bit.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 6:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I know how you feel my son is 6 months old and he is sick. He keeps coughing and sneezing and he is so stuffed up its a little hard for him to breathe. I was up all night because i was worried about him. He has his well baby check tomorrow so im going to bring it up then. I hope your little one gets better soon.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd take him in. Usually after about a week if it's not getting better, there's a good chance an infection has developed. sinus, ear, etc. And since there is a sudden fever....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• IMO sounds like it WAS just a cold (prob caught it in the waiting room at the Dr. office for the well checkup) then turned into a ear or sinus infection. I would call the nurse at the Dr.'s office and see when they can get you in. If the blizzard is that bad, ask if they can call in a perscription.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009