Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can obesity cause parts of my skin to die?

I had severe hypothyroid undiagnosed for over a year which I gained 180 pounds in one year, medicine has stopped the weight gain, but Im 6 months preggies now, because A1C i in bloodcount diagnosed pre-diabetes and metformin was prescribed because its pcos helpful and diabetic medication, but it caused me to ovulate and conceive in ONE MONTH. I have not put one pound on this pregnancy, yay. My baby bump is where it should be, but my lower abdomen grew so large so fast it sags so far, and when I sit it almost reaches my knees. Well now the southernmost part of the "sag" is numb, and turning hard. I cannot see it, havent seen my woman parts in over a year, but the skin under the hard core, and beside it, seems very sensitive when I touch the hard core, which is just as soft as the rest of my skin, any one have any answers what is happening there? thanks.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I went to my obgyn for my pregnancy, and she looked at it, she said it is JUST WATER RETENTION and nothing more. thanks for looking ladies and maybe you learned something too?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • I'd talk to your gyno about it the next time you're in. That doesn't sound good!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I agree talk to the OBGYN. I have never heard of skin dying because some one is over weight.

    Answer by youngmom2004 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Can I ask why you think an Ob gyn is best suited to know about my stomach skin? right under my belly button where the "happy trail" is supposedly which I am hairless there btw, but my "happy trail area" points south from it being so saggy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • most likely, intertriginous dermatitis.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 8:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Lol jewjewbee. that condition YOU named ONLY HAPPENS IN THE "THIGH" area,AND it is red and inflamed and itchy and swollen. NOT AT ALL LIKE MY CONDITION AND WHAT I DESCRIBED-ITS MY ABDOMEN AND THE SOUTHERNMOST PART OF THAT DROOP ON THE STOMACH is NOTdiscolored, it does NOT itch , in fact it is numb to the touch, and hard, not soft like the surrounding skin, about a 3 inch around spot and the skin UNDER that patch and all around surrounding that patch is very much alive and "hurts" when actually pushed against the hard in even the slightest touch, this is NOT A GENITAL AREA problem, it is on the stomach skin, a few inches below the belly button.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I would start by visiting my general practitioner. This could be one of many things, but I believe that your general practitioner can get some testing started and a referral to the appropriate specialist. I would definitely have it evaluated though. GL Mamma.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009