Cash for Caulkers? Home improvements to be done to spend money and boost the economy?

Since Obama wants to "spend our way out of this recession", how do you feel about his proposal to spend money for retrofitting millions of homes to make them more energy-efficient?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091209/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama_jobs

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 1:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that money could be better spent in a million different ways. I think we should focus on getting ourselves OUT of debt not further in. I also think that money would be better spent (if we HAVE to spend it..) on making energy efficient cars, actually affordable. But thats just my opinion. I think the home renovating idea is a waste of money.
    shygurl3166

Answer by shygurl3166 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• From the article:
    "Obama proposed new spending for highway and bridge construction, for small business tax cuts and for retrofitting millions of homes to make them more energy-efficient. He said he wanted to extend economic stimulus programs to keep unemployment insurance from expiring for millions of out-of-work Americans and to help laid-off workers keep their health insurance. He proposed an additional $250 apiece in stimulus spending for seniors and veterans and aid to state and local governments to discourage them from laying off teachers, police officers and firefighters."

***
    I thought the original stimulus was for "shovel ready projects" (bridges and highways) as well as for cities/towns to "preserve" (not save) infrastructure and school district jobs (you know, the ones already protected by unions)? And WHAT is an extra $250 going to do? I also didn't realize it costs money to give businesses tax breaks! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I guess since the first one did basically nothing, we need to do the same thing again. These people are lost.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• you could say we did that. this home we have now had no insulation. so we took part in the program by insulating it and should get around a $1500 additional tax write off. i haven't read all the paperwork yet, but i suppose i will have to sometime after Feb.1.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• AAARRRRRGGGHHHH
    Idiots. Why don't all teh regestered Dems just chip in so their money can do whatever it is Obama is trying to do.
    My money doesn't need to help my neighbor caulk his house.
    Do you know how little this helps anyway? It's not going to make a pin prick in global warming and anything that will really save you money costs to much to do in the first place for most. You can get 30% on certain home improvements that are energy efficient but that isn't a check for 30% of what you paid, you can take that 30% at tax time and subtract it from your gross earnings. If you pay $5000 for new windows you can take $1500 off your gross and it will get you back 3-400 of your $5000. Now thats a big ticket item. If you pay someone $200 to winterize your home you can take about $60 off your earnings and get about $10 back at tax time. OH BOY! People don't have jobs so they are not going to pay someone to caulk.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I will never understand how spending more money then we have will get us out of this rut? Makes zero sense to me. Sounds like a business deal gone sour. "Oh, lets see if spending gets us out of this rut, and if it doesn't, then we will just be in a deeper rut"

When running and budgeting a household you can't spend more then you make and expect to "spend your way out of debt".

I think the government needs lessons on budgeting from some of us Cafemoms. We will show them how it's realistically done.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think it's stupid and in the end with making homes more energy efficient, they are still going to have to pay more. Where I live, there was a big deal made about making homes energy efficient. It worked so well that the power company increased their rates by 6% to recoup their "lost" profits.

Bailing people/companies/banks is NOT the answer if it does not work. Tax cuts and credits do not work if there is a deficit.

Our politicians are all douches. ALL of them. There is not one who is not a worthless douche. Even if they start out with intentions on changing the world, in the end they are one big douche.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's nothing new and it benefits the environment in the long run. I'm still waiting for this so I can get a new energy efficient dryer. Maybe a washer too.
    Anonymous

• ""I will never understand how spending more money then we have will get us out of this rut? ""

Pumping money into the economy in theory will encourage others to spend which will generate jobs and bring additional taxes into the governemnt. But there are times when this doesn't work or it doesn't work as well as anticipated. And periods of low consumer confidence and negatative growth trends leaves people leary to spend. So pumping money into the economy now only helps build savings accounts which could be used to lend to businesses and thus expand grwoth that way. But the sad truth is we were way over grown and are probably just setting back to where we should have been.
    Anonymous

• How come it is so impossible to see that the ONLY jobs which count toward boosting our economy MUST be private sector jobs !!?

If we spend "gov't" money (money TAKEN FROM citizens) to "employ" some people for a brief time, then it is exactly the same as taking a bucket of water from the deep end of the pool and pouring it into the shallow end. Nothing has been produced, hence NO BOOST to the economy.

To claim that gov't "employment" is creating jobs is exactly the same as claiming that your bucket of water raised the water level in the pool. ... !!

These people can read, right? They could spend 5 or 10 minutes looking into what has created jobs EVERY TIME in U.S. history - slashing taxes ! Not only did business boom and create jobs, but tax revenues swelled, as well - even with drastically-lowered tax %s.

And EVERY TIME the reverse has been true - higher taxes = bad for business = LOWER tax revenues.

Duh!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009