not pooping

my 17month old is impacted with poop and won't release it cause it hurts i guess, and i don't know what to do! Can anyone help me?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all the time or just recently? try miralax, its not a stimulant and it will make his body produce more water and you can put it in his water.juice or whatever he drinks and he won't even know, within 2 days my son will stool when he's been stopped up. sometimes chocolate helps, such as m & m's - which in turn is a treat for them also, try prunes? or extra fiber.. fiber choice powder?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My sons doctor says it's okay to give your kid milk of mag daily as long as it's needed so that it doesn't get to this point but sometimes I would have to help my son poop. I would "take a rectal temp" to stimulate him to go then sometimes I'd have to help actually getting it out, his butt would tear a little but we used preparation H wipes on him when that happened and they were better on his torn skin than regular wipes. I know the actually helping part sounds gross but I would do anything to help my baby feel better. He would be in soooo much pain. He is now on Miralax daily and we don't have those problems anymore thank god!!!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Good Luck!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You might try juice or miralax. If its bad and none of it helps, take him to a specialist. He may have a condition that causes this. My neice has it and she has a very difficult time going potty. She has to take a laxative every day so that things move along.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Apple Juice!! My son still can't drink it and he's 4.. lol. You could massage his lower back a little, sometimes that can help too. Or lean him forward while he's sitting on his butt... so that it puts some pressure there. Good luck :).. hope it helps you a little
    shygurl3166

Answer by shygurl3166 at 2:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Both of my kids have this problem....especially my son right now...they were/are both on a Miralax powder ( i put it in his bottoms and sometimes i put it into her drink ) ....but now it isnt working for my son and I usually have to give hima suppository (sp) ....also...letting him sit in a really warm bath ( up to his stomach ) and giving him soemthing warm to drink really helps alot.....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2009