Translate please (mythology)

O.K. I confess to not knowing a lot about mythology, just very general stuff taught in public schools so I read a question and the answer but I didn't understand the answer, and I didn't think it would be nice to interrupt the discussion with my own question so I'm posting this.

"The Lay of Hyndla is mainly about her. Since she's present in Lokasenna there's a section on her, though technically that's a Lay about Loki. Her hall is Sessrumnir, and you can read about that in several of the Eddas, It's in Folkvangr, where she takes half of the battle fallen (Odin takes the other half to Valhalla)."

Thank you.

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 2:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Those are the religious writings that reference the goddess Salem was asking about. Germanic Heathenry has, for lack of a better word, scriptures, just like any other religion. They are Sagas and Lays, translated from the original Scandinavian languages. Some are compiled into larger books (the Eddas) and others into more specialized books of Sagas, usually related to the family they include. The Lay of Hyndla and Lokasenna are individual sagas, think of them like chapters in the bible. Each is divided into verses. Sessrumnir, Folkvangr and Valhalla are places, specifically Sessrumnir is Freya's Hall, located in Folkvangr, and Valhalla is another location entirely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Umm yea I am just as lost as you...lol
    sorry 4 not actually answering your question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Greek mythology I could help with... Norse, not so much! Sorry.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 5:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think its probably my question that you didn't want to interrupt. It would have been ok. I actually do not know a whole lot about Norse mythology myself. They are not gods I've paid much attention to in my religious practice. I guess I'll find out though! lol. Freya seems to be the right goddess for the character I'll be creating for my book. She has to be a lover and a fighter.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyndlulj%C3%B3%C3%B0 This is from the wikki, which I like in this case because you can click on the links of the words you don't understand and get further meaning.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2009