Was Detention Justified?

My 13-year-old son had a substitute teacher last week in Science class. She glance over and saw he and another boy working together. She assumed they were cheating, and ripped the other boy's paper into pieces. When the other boy started to cry, she apologized and went to her desk and taped back up the shredded paper and handed it back to the boy.

As she was walking back to the boys' desk to hand him his shedded, now taped-back-up paper, the class was laughing. As she was walking back to her desk, my son said under his breath (but loud enough for her to hear him and get detention) "What a Dumb-Ass!"

soccermama-3

Asked by soccermama-3 at 2:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• As kids grow up they will find that they don't always like the rules or the consequences for breaking them whether they are fair or not. He needs to either accept the consequences or talk to the teacher..this is not something a parent should be involved with other than the consequences you might give him at home for showing disrespect for the teacher.
    Sheila1970

Answer by Sheila1970 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• well to be honest if my 13 y/o said "what a dumb-ass!" to his teacher, (even under his breath) He would get more than detention, once he got home he would find life not to his liking. That is disrespectful, I would hope that my children know that when speaking to or about an adult that there is a line you do not cross.

I think dentention is extremely justified, some schools would have called you in for a meeting to discuss this, I would say your son got off pretty easy.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I our school system, swearing is an punishable offense. The detention is justified.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 3:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Sorry, but I think that while the teacher was out of line for ripping up the paper, and obviously tried to rectify the situation, your child was also wrong for what he said. I agree that he should have gotten detention.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you don't agree with rules at the school, then find another one.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Although the teacher was out of line for ripping up the paper, your child should not have called an adult a dumb-ass while they're in earshot. Would you want some 13-year-old kid calling you a dumb-ass? If my child had done that, there would have been consequences at home, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well, technically, the detention was justified - a student isn't supposed to disrespect teachers like that. Even though it sounds like the teacher earned the title he gave her...
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yup it is justified.My child would not be happy once he got home.The teacher was wrong but that is a separate issue.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• yep.

but I wouldnt do anything to punish him at home for it.... she was a dumb ass.

Oh... unless he often uses inappropriate words... then there should be a punshiment at home.
    Anonymous

• It was wrong for him to call the teacher a dumb-ass/ It can't be excused. He should get detention. I think it is disgusting and wrong to use words such as dumbass and if parent allows that kind of language, it is irresponsible.
    The only thing I heard from a teacher was my son's Math teacher who called me one day and said he was being too much of a comedian and needed to stop making everyone laugh. Thank goodness that was the worst any of my kids did. But I told him he had to stop that kind of behavior and respect his teacher.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009