Giving tabe foods

Ihave an 8 month old little boy. My sons father thinks he is too young to give him tiny pieces of table foods that are easy for our son to chew. Our son also has his top two teeth and bottom two teeth. The Dr. said it was fine as long as its cut into tiny chewable pieces and as long as he knows how to chew which he does. I have told my sons father alll of this but he still doesnt agree that its ok. What are your thoughts and what have you done with your children?

JazzyTysMomma

Asked by JazzyTysMomma at 3:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let baby daddy watch you feed him and see how well he's chewing it and how satisfied he is when he has a full tummy on more solid foods rather than just milk. My baby daddy is the same way. He refuses to feed our 10 month old solids even though she has 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom. He reasoning though is not as valid as your baby daddy's. Mine just don't want to feed her because she gets it all over her face and clothes and he hates for her to be dirty. He has recently started giving her an animal cracker every now and then but I still can't get him to give her any real food. Babys got to eat so I feed her well when I'm home and thats why she runs to me ever time I come on from work.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would ask him to provide you with data to support his position. As long as you are avoiding the allergy trigger foods and making sure that the baby doesn't choke, this is fine. This is not a complete list, but: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts

You can learn more here: www.babyledweaning.com and www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would start him with soft foods - scrambled eggs, cheese, etc. We started our kids that way (and hopefully daddy won't mind the soft stuff). My daughter would eat anything - even with no teeth!! I did cut the grapes up into little pieces, but she loved them! My sons both had teeth at a younger age, so it wasn't an issue with them. They chewed just fine. What does your husband want you to feed the 8 month old? Just baby jar food? Teething biscuits are sold for infants and those are solids! Maybe take hi down the baby aisle so he can see the solid food sold for little ones! Btw, my daughter loved frozen waffles when teething!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Every baby is different. My son choked on everything until he was around a year. I would give him the tiniest piece of egg and he would choke. The only fod he could eat was graham crackers because they dissolved right away. My other 2 could handle it earlier.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My 8 month old only eats tables food and has never eaten any other way (regarding solids).

It's much better than pureed food for several reasons... it allows them to self-regulate, it builds skills (picking things up, chewing etc...) and you actually get to eat while they eat! :)

Just give him some soft stuff from your plate and let DH see how he does with it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009