So I got the gym membership...now what?

I can't afford even their cheapest personal training package but I need lots of help in losing weight. I did get one session with a personal trainer and I felt amazing afterwards. I know I had a great workout so much so that even days later and even without changing my diet much, I lost weight. That won't happen if I try to workout on my own. I really don't know which exercises I should be doing and I know even from the workout that just running on the treadmill won't give me the results I want as quickly as I want them. I guess my question is what should I be doing in the gym to maximize my weight loss? My BMI is in the low 40's. 5'1'' 200lbs. My pic doesn't match me, that was last year when I was pregnant with my daughter. I just haven't changed my picture yet.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 5:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Find a class that you like. I really miss going to the gym; and I NEVER thought I would say that. LOL Before we moved I was going to Zumba(friggin AWESOME class) a minimum of 2-3 times a week. I actually looked forward to working out. That makes all the difference...at least in my opinion. :-D
    JenB1983

Answer by JenB1983 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Weight loss is not a quick thing. It is a lifestyle change.
    At the gym, shot low first, and gradually increase. Walk a mile on the treadmill. Do two machines for each body part (arms, legs, abs, and butt) and do three sets of 8 reps. Repeat that three times a week.
    Diet is easy. Research on the computer, the exact amount of calories and fats you should have in a day and decrease that by 30%. Increase you protein intake, fluids, and decrease your fats.
    When you have reached your goal weight, continue with the above, but go back to your daily allowence of calories and fats. Doesnt sound like fun, but it worked for me and my husband. In three months, he lost 45 lbs, and I lost 15. He now weighs 170 lbs at 6 ft, and I weigh 105 lbs at 5 ft......
    Good Luck!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Girl!!! take it one day at a time. If you set hight expectatations then you will feel like crap when you don't achieve your goal by your deadline. I have a two year old and now weight more than i did when i gave birth...aint that a !&@!!. Excuse me, i was cursing. I recently purchased the P90X home work out videos. It worked for my friend. she and I wore the same size pants wit the exception that i had two kids and she has none. Now, she is three sizes smaller in less than six months. Try what ever works for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 6:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I agree with both above posts. AND I wanted to tell you I LOVE Oxygen Magazine...it gives great adives, food schedules/recipes for clean eating, workouts and all sorts of advice and how to articles so you wont need a trainer.
    It is a LIFESTYLE change and not a diet that is going to help you...if you are dedicated to that then you will do fine..and you need to be easier on yourself too, weight that goes off quick comes back quicker and weight that goes off slow comes back slower so dont try to hurry hurry and get it off...focus on becomong HEALTHY not skinny and you will make yourelf into the best version of yourself you can be! PROMISE!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Take a day at a time. If you are like me and need someone there telling you get you butt moving LOL then have a friend come with you. I can work out but I get lazy about it lol. I need someone with me so I dont slack off. Also I know this will sound nuts and yuck but it is proven that if you eat a half of a grapefruit with every meal or drink an 8 oz glass of grapeffruti juice with every meal that it will over time help you to burn fat.
    I did it though out high school and after having my son. It helped me ALOT. I have trouble losing weight for soem reason I just cant. Ill get thinner but I will not lose 1 lbs. I tried the grapefruit and I started losing weight finally.
    Good luck hun !
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Be careful with the grapefruit, it can build acid in your stomach and you dont want that AND it has sugar which is so bad for you. Its better to have balanced meals 3 tines a day and 2 snacks and dont eat after 7pm if you can help it. Get the Clean Eating Cookbook-Revamped version...throw out all white stuff in your house, watch the SALT intake as it can make you bloated and retain water, drink plenty of water, NO soda, set a limit on sugars (natural and artificial), eat LEAN meats only, eat fish a few times a week if you like fish or shrimp, PLAN meals AHEAD of time that helps so much. LIke an example is cooking on Sunday for the week's lunches, like grilling or baking skinless chicken and boiling eggs so you have enough for the whole week and you can do MANY different things with chicken...cutting veggies ahead of time and portioning them out will save time during the week too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Google exercise routines, start slow and work your way to high intensity, create a routine on a daily basis, once you see results you will be hooked!!!!!! Protein shakes with low carbs are really good to take to workouts.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you need exercise routines, check out websites for Shape Magazine or Fitness magazine. They have workout that you can copy and take to the gym. Most importantly - keep going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Wow everyone! Thanks for your wonderful responses! Each PP had some advice I could use, thanks!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009