Is it really that important to wash new baby clothes?

I asked my mother a while ago if I really needed to wash brand new clothes we got from the store for the baby... She said yes.

I know babies can get irritations, but really from brand new clothes?

I've washed everything we're taking to the hospital thus far... it's just a pain in the butt not knowing what will fit or not so I'm having to rip tags off of things just to wash them before he can even try them on.

fmaziarz

Asked by fmaziarz at 6:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never washed mine. One of my sons has sensitive skin, and he never had a problem. I figured they don't wear the clothes very long and they get washed pretty quickly anyway. Don't worry about it! (Take the shortest outfits to the hospital! My first was 23 inches long, but at first they sleep with their legs curled up, so you need tiny stuff!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• yeah it has to do with chemicals used in the clothing. most of it is from foreign countries and has shit in it you wouldnt even imagine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I washed everything for my first. I didn't for my second and third. They were fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Necessary? Probably not. But in case you don't already know, the reasons it's recommended to wash new clothes is because manufacturers use things like formaldehyde on them to prevent mildew during transport. They also use chemical finishers on them to make them look better, to act as disinfectants, to make some stuff flame retardant, etc.... Ultimately it's up to you but sometimes knowing why it's recommended helps in decision making
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I wash ALL new clothes before wear. You never know what has touched them before you. There could be irritants such as dyes or fabric starches on them.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I used to work in a factory that made jeans, the denim was treated with formaldehyde. I ALWAYS wash baby clothes before putting my son in them, I would hate to think the material is treated with something like that and then I am just putting it on my kid.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 8:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I wash everything before I wear it...like pp's have said, you never know what is on them. Especially with so many things being imported...I hate to think what might be on my clothes....let alone a brand new baby!
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 8:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• All you need to take to the hospital is a onsie and a pair of sweat pants, once you get home get him dressed up so when everyone, and there mom's shows up. That is the fun part
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I never washed my kids baby clothes and they were fine. I think it's a matter of personal opinion here really. I must be the "odd man out" here looking at all the answers LOLLLL never knew to wash the clothes just put them on my kids when i'd get them from a shower or bday party because they were so cute. :)

There's no way i'd of had time to wash all the outfits when our twins were born. That's just too much laundry for a new momma LOL We just put them in the outfits straight off the hanger or out of the package.

Theone is right, one outfit with sweats. You'll be good to go! :) Congratulations and good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I make SURE to wash everything that is not packaged, not only because of shipping dust and certain chemicals that may be present, but think about it...do you have any idea how many or what KIND of people t ouched the garment before you bought it? You don't know if was dropped on the floor, someone used the restroom and didn't wash their hands, you have absolutely no idea! I know that most people, myself included, feel the garment before I buy it for my child, I don't know a single person that doesn't. I however am a vigilant hand-washer, but that certainly does NOT ring true for everyone, even some so-called adults.
    Elisu

Answer by Elisu at 8:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009