Is it appropriate for married men to have single female friends?

Maybe I'm out of line, but I feel that a single female has no business hanging out with a married man. How do you feel about this?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 7:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i really dont think it is appropriate either... if my dh has work friends who happen to be female and single so be it... that has to do with his career and you need work friends... but they shouldnt need to go seek out single female friends, that would be a red flag to me...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I agree with you..what is the purpose of it? Your married...and single women for whatever reason always want something that they cant have...and that just maybe your husband...and Men are so easy to manipulate...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It isn't okay for a single lady or single man to hang out with a married person. Having a friend who is single is common, but, it should be activiites as a group if want to do things together. Not alone.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 7:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Do you feel the same way about a married woman hanging out with a single man? I dont think that there is anything wrong with hanging out with someone who is single and of the opposite sex. As long as you stay true to your spouce who cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I agree! My husband has/had single 'friends' but he quicky introduced them to me and they became our friends. He never does anything without me (with women). We have a joint facebbok account and he came home from work and told me he had to add a female co-worker as our friend! He is pretty honest with me.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yes I feel the same way about married women being friends with single men. I think that unless the friend is a mutual friend between the husband and wife, that it is inappropriate and disrespectful. And to Anon 7:43, I asked your opinion on the matter, not on what kind of person I am for feeling the way I do. Nobody's judging you for feeling the way you do about it, so kindly show the same respect in return.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My husband always told me a man and a woman can't be friends unless something more is going on. Well, when I found our phone records showed that he was calling one of my ex friends at least 10 times a day and when they weren't talking they wre txting, I confronted him about it. The first day he tried to lie his way out of it. The second day he admitted to an affair. But, she wasn't single she was married. So my answer is no, because evidently he was right married or single a man and woman can't be friends unless something more is going on.
    boysmom13

Answer by boysmom13 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm totally ok with my husband having a single female friend as long as he remains true to me. I'm also been friends with a married man for 10+ years. Words cannot express how much I've learned through hearing another man's point of view. I think a person has to be totally secure in themselves and their relationship for outside relationships to work. Btw, I'm not necessarily friends with all my hubby's friends nor he mine. We're totally ok with this. We've also been married 27 years.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My husband had single female friends LONG before he knew me. It would be ridiculous and over controlling to tell him he can't hang out with them anymore. I'd look at my husband like he was nuts if he tried to tell me I couldn't hang out with my single guy friends.

I agree there has to be some sort of trust issue if someone starts saying who their spouse can and can't hang out with.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Its the ones married men and married women don't introduce to their spouse that should be a concern, or if there is any inappropriate flirting going on, or some secrecy(he/she won't speak to the other party in front of spouse/so). But other than that single friends usually are kept around for various reasons other than cheating. Although it would be nice for coupled people to hang out with other coupled people, this isn't always the case. And for whatever reason men like some secrecy in their life(I think its a sort of rush or something). But I will say this: DO NOT OVER CROWD HIM OR BECOME JEALOUS OR INSECURE OVER YOUR RELATIONSHIP, because if you start accusing and they are in deed NOT doing anything they tend to develop this frame of mind of "oh well he/she thinks I'm doing it anyways so what the heck", besides don't add on the stress or pressure!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2009