Would it be rude to get more than they ask for?

We are buying Christmas for a family and there 'list' is very short. would it be rude to buy more than what they want? fyi: Im thinking along the lines of a bike for each of the kids and possibly video games or something...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Holidays

• Rude? No way that is super helpful of you - that's such a nice gift to give to a family for christmas. If I could do it for someone I would love to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• OP Here. What about stocking stuffers? I do not directly know the family but a friend of a friend and she said she feels bad cause they are haveing a really hard time right now. but I dont know if maybe stockings are mom and dad even if not much money....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Most ppl don't know how much a family that is adopting them have to spend so they put very inexpensive things on the list & make it very short also. So no I don't think it would be rude to buy them more they are probably just too proud to ask for more. Give what you can afford to them they will appreciate it I'm sure
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No it is not rude.
    Anything you gove them I am sure wil be greatly welcomed.
    stocking stuffers are a great Idea too. I am sure you would not offend by offering more help then what they asked for!
    That is awesome you are wanting to do more!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would say their list is probably short b/c they are trying to be humble and unselfish. I don't think it would be rude at all. I think it would be a wonderful gesture.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think you are very thoughtful to wonder about this instead of just doing it. Often there are people who, in some people's eyes, need a little help - but they themselves see a handout or any form of charity as an insult to their pride. So I see where this question is coming from. However, since they have already asked for help, I do not think that they would be insulted or offended if you got them more than they asked for. I agree with pps that the reason they didn't ask for much is b/c they don't want to be seen as greedy, they don't want to be greedy, and they wanted to make sure the families making the donations could afford to help them out. PS Merry Christmas!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd get them things that don't need something else to run (video games - do they have a console?)

from my experience people put their minimums down on a list, they don't want to look greedy.

a bike for each kid would be fun.

useful things and fun things
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No, I don't think it would be rude at all. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and consideration.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Nope not rude.

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would make sure it's something they actually want though. I can't tell you how many times people have rolled their eyes at a donation to charity that I have requested and gotten me something I didn't even want because they thought they 'knew better' than me. Or when another adult has bought a toy for my daughter that I did not want her to have. If it's nothing like that then by all means go all out! Bikes are awesome gifts, just make sure no one else is already buying it for them, lol.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 9:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009