My six month old won't go to bed until 11pm or 12 pm

What can I do? my DS won't goto bed lately until 11 or 12 pm but he still gets up at 6 or 7 am. He takes naps durring the day fine. I don't get home until 9:30 from work but it never seemed to bother him before. He'd get the same bed time story as soon as I came home a bedtime kiss from daddy and then he'd nurse himself to sleep. Now I do the same rutine and then he's giggling and trying to climb and bounce all over me. If I lay him in his bed he goes into a screaming fit. He's been teething but they haven't bothered him to bad. I'm just not sure what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's time to cut down on the daytime naps, the length of time he is allowed to nap, or no later than say 4PM.

All children are different, and from my own experience with two boys, my older son would only nap for about 45 minutes to an hour when he was an infant several times a day, and only once a day when he was a toddler (up to 2 years old). Regardless of when he napped, or for how long, he always went to sleep by around 9PM until about 5AM (as a toddler). Sometimes he would pass out if he was tired and take a short nap, but it didn't impact his regular bedtime.

With my younger son I stopped giving him naps by the time he was 2 as he would then be up until 11PM or later!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• He screams and cries if he doesn't get a nap around 7 pm. I've tried making him stay up and he'll conk out anywhere. Do you think if I do that for a few weeks he might change his habbit?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Mine stays up later when she's teething too. I think the added pressure/pain of their teeth make it even more difficult for them to fall asleep.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yeah if you make him stay awake he'll adjust to the change. Nappin @ 7 is a sure way mine'll be up till 12, she's 7 mo.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's mostly a phase, probably going through a growth spurt. He's now more aware of his surroundings and trying to take as much in as possible. Keep doing everything the same and he will soon go back on track. You can try cutting his naps down in length, but not by anything drastic. 10 minutes per nap really. Better yet, try re-timing his naps. If he's getting up at 6 or 7am, then he should be ready for a nap by 10 or 11. Another nap around 4, then bed by 9:30. Save sleep restriction for a last ditch effort, as it can throw off a LOT of things and create a bigger nightmare in the long run.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 9:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• He screams and cries if he doesn't get a nap around 7 pm. I've tried making him stay up and he'll conk out anywhere.

***

6 month olds cannot tell time, so it's up to you to set a new nap schedule (along with feeding schedule) with the last nap ENDING by around 4PM. This should be easier in the winter months as it gets darker earlier. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

*****

This was his schedule up until about a week ago. On nights that I worked he was in bed by 10pm. If he was a sleep when I got home( which was rare)He'd be up at 5am to eat then go back to sleep until 7 am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• A baby this age needs to go bed for the night at 6:30 or 7 pm- not down for a nap. How many naps does he take during the day? Some people think that the more you keep a baby awake, the longer they will sleep. The opposite is actually true. The more you keep a baby awake, the more overtired they become, and the harder it is for the to fall, and stay, asleep. Do not cut out naps or shorten them. Try two naps a day- one in the morning around 10 am and one in the afternoon around 2 pm, then down for bed at 7 pm. Trust me on this one... my son slept 11-12 hours a night at 6 mos old following this exact same schedule. If he wakes up to nurse, then nurse him. Otherwise, let him sleep. Good luck!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• dawpea-He was taking a nap at 10am after he ate cereal @ 9:30am. Then he'd have some veggies and cereal at 1pm and have a nap @ 1:30. Both of these naps were between an hr and 45 mins. Then he'd have a half hr power nap at 3pm. My husband watches hi in the evenings while I'm at work. He says sometimes he'd take a nap @ 6 and someimes @ 7 for 20 mins. He gets a bath every night @ 8 pm it 's been this way since he was a month old. Then a book then kisses, then nurseing. If he slept longer @ 10 then he'd skip his afternoon nap. This week he gets tired for a nap around 8:30am and sleeps until 9:30. Then ieverything else but the 3 pm nap is the same. And of course the bed time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If he is well rested and happy, why must you do anything? He could just want to spend more time with you because he's mmore aware now.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009