For Those Who Celebrate Kwanzaa

I'm a music teacher and we always cover the holidays of December. I feel confident speaking about Chanukah and Christmas. I understand the principles of Kwanzaa but what I don't know is if these songs in my book are just there for filler or if there are songs that are sung in homes for Kwanzaa. It seems to me, these songs are just teaching songs written by someone who needed a Kwanzaa song. Some are really good, and some are painful (IMO).

If there is some song(s) that is authentically used in people's homes, I would love to know them.

trishmused

Asked by trishmused at 9:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Below are two websites with Kwanzaa music - the first is geared towards kids and the other offers free downloads. Hope it helps.

http://kidsmusic.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/kwanzaa.htm

www.theholidayspot.com/kwanzaa/kwanzaa_music.htm
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I sure hope if you are teaching Kwanzaa you are also including the Pagan holiday of Yule/Solstice. Since that has been around LONG before Christianity, and Kwanzaa is a recently made up holiday!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• yeah.... that was a helpful post. I came to ask for help for a specific question. Not be preached to.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 9:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Just sayin'... since you are in a postion to act...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have to say I celebrate Kwanzaa every year because my 3 oldest are mixed and I want them to learn about their heritage. That being said I try my hardest as a white person who knew no one growing up (even black aunts and uncles) who celebrated Kwanzaa the only AA song I know is kumbaya( sp?). We usually just do the lessons. I really do not know what to tell you. There are alot of people on here who do not celebrate it.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 1:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Anonymous

• Calm down, Witchqueen!
    Anonymous

• I'm glad you can put aside your own bias so you can help someone with a legitimate question.

For those interested in posting, please let it be on the topic!! thank you!
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 9:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• P.S. as stated in my op I'm looking for AUTHENTIC music.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 9:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2009