Believers... if you sin in a dream, are you accountable for it?

I know you can't control what you dream, but that thought MUST be somewhere in your mind in order for it to manifest in your sleep. Scientists do not yet understand dreams enough to say exaclty what they are, why we have them and if they serve a purpose- it's all speculation.

Have you ever done bad things in your dreams that make you feel guilty for having done them and if so, did you ask for forgiveness from your God for having them?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From an islamic point of view. You are not responsible for those things which occur while you are asleep. you do become responsible if you act upon it once you are awake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• no..the only guilt i've felt was languishing over it during my day..if it was 'one of those' dreams..that would then fall into the 'lust' category of sin.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Do you mean having a lust dream you can't control is sinning? Or daydreaming about it is a sin? Just trying to understand what you said...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• (crap, i just deleted my explanation) for the believer, if we're talking about the sin of lust (in which, the dreams i speak of being adultery...surely i'm not the only person who's dreamed of wild GOOD sex with someone other than my dh)..meaning, i continue to dwell on it, 'reliving' it in my mind afterward...yes, it would be a sin. scripturally speaking, lust is the same as actually committing the act. as good as the dream may feel to the mind, for the believer to dwell on it, she/he might as well go ahead and commit adultery..comprenez-vous?
    perhaps i have a personal issue with this..the only dreams i ever feel guilty of are 'those kinds'. :)) just keeping it real, ihartu.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Thanks. I get where you're coming from now and I understand from a biblical point of view how that would be a sin.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• oops... sorry dont know how that became ANON.. .the response above is from me. :)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Aasiyah, I can see where something like that can be dangerous. It's easy for some people to dwell on things like that and to become obsessed with them- making it possible for them to actually act upon it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can't sin in a dream because it's subconscious--even if you've had a temptation and act upon it in a dream it doesn't mean you've given full consent and full knowledge to act upon that sin. Therefore, it's not sin. Most of the time you can't control what happens in a dream (I think some people are capable of doing that, but how much of the dream is their actual consent and how much of it is the subconscious and the mind sorting things is up for debate most of the time).

Not everything a person does in their dreams are something they would really do (or even want to do) in their real life.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Like someone else said...just don't dwell on certain thoughts or temptations and try to put the dream outta your head.
    MamaBee07

• I agree with Aasiyah, as a Christian I simply ask God to remove those things from my subconsious mind because they are disturbing. But I do not believe God holds us accountable for unconscious sin. I would say the same thing to some one who sinned without intent. For example, I say something that makes a person angry, I have offended them but it was not intentional. That is a sin, but I don't believe I would be responsible for that sin unless God or the offended person makes me aware.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009