Is 11yrs old to old to believe in Santa?

My 11 yr old still believes, or at least she pretends she does. Whichever it is, would you tell your daughter/son at 11 that there is no Santa or would you continue to let them believe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Um... yes.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• yup...I actually asked my mom about it ON Christmas day when I was around 10 I think...and when I asked if he was real while holding the gift I had jsut unwrapped she jsut looked at me and said " what do YOU think" and I said no and all was fine.
    I would let her believe this year if she doesn't bring it up. I doubt it will go on much longer anyway :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I still believe and I am 51!!! Once you stop believing you don't get any gifts. don't push her into not believing!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well I'm going to disagree with the two other posters and say no. There's nothing wrong with believing in Santa at all regardless of how old a child is. Most people would say 11 is too old because by then, most kids have already found out the truth and ruined it for other kids. But my mom "kept the dream alive" as long as possible, lol. If the child truly believes and no one at school has said anything, let it go. It's rare that we get any true joy anymore and a kid that believes in Santa waking up on Christmas morning is one of those things that is absolute true joy.

My mom still wraps our presents (mind you, I'm 25 and my brother is 20) and writes "From Santa" on them even though she knows we don't believe. It's just her way of making us smile.
    robibuni

Answer by robibuni at 10:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No it isnt too old! If ya dont believe ya dont recieve! It isnt the presents to me its the spirit of the season!
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think it's great that she still believes. I think kids nowadays grow up way too quickly. Let her enjoy her innocence because before too long it will be gone. In a day and age where kids are having sex by her age, and drinking and doing drugs, I think it's awesome that she still is a child enjoying the holiday spirit. Even if she is pretending to believe, let her. :)

I just love that jolly old elf in the red suit!!!!! :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you don't believe, you don't receive! My son is 10 and just found out this year about Santa. Kids at school were making jokes and making fun of those that believe! Therefore, we let him in on it when he asked us. So I would say when she asks you about it, it's probably time to tell her.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with her believing. It's the same thing as having blind faith in religion, ghosts, spirits, aliens. It's perfectly natural for people to believe in something they have no physical proof of. I still like to believe in Santa, even though I know it is said he isn't real. It's harmless. I think it's great for children to still have that imagination and that blind faith, because adults too often dash the dreams of "unrealistic figures" in kids.

Honestly, I believe would should embrace kids believing in Santa. Allow them to have something to hope for, to believe in, to dream of. The longer we let their imagination and hope stay alive, the better off they'll be in the future. I think.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• When my oldest son was old enough to understand Christmas we didn't have much money. I had made twice as much as my husband and it was really hard when I stopped working to be a SAHM. We didn't want our son to think he didn't get lots of presents from Santa because he wasn't good enough. We also wanted him to know we got the presents for him. We told him there was no Santa.

I have 3 sons and they still sat on Santa's lap and watched Santa movies, ect. It was a problem when they got around 5 or 6 and wanted to tell all the other kids that there was no Santa and their parents were lying to them. My youngest called him The Fraud.

They are all glad I always told the truth and that they could count on me doing so.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• they are right...never too old to believe ;)
    just yesterday both my teenagers said they believe- and hubby siad yeah-around here you believe or you get nothing! hahaha
    *even though there are a few things under the tree at the moment ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2009