It just hit me last night...

Does anyone else think it is weird that a Christian will say they cant have an abortion cause it is against their beliefs/religion...but what got them in that situation is against their religion but they had no problem doing that. Honestly I am a Christian who is against abortion but has had premarital sex..somehow last night I saw the irony of it. I understand this isnt the only way people get in this situation but it seems that alot of Christian girls are out having premarital sex pretty much guilt free until pregnancy occurs. Please dont get me wrong..I did this exact thing so Im not judging just think its strange that religion/beliefs didnt play a factor when out having fun but suddenly we cling to those beliefs when it is convient...any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am the same as you. I am a Christian who had premarital sex, but I am definitely against abortion. I guess as Christians sometimes we tend to rank sins. Even though they're all equal in God's eyes I guess we as human think, "sex isn't THAT bad. But abortion is horrible because it's taking a life".
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 10:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh dear, fornication talk soooooo early in the morning hurts my head. lol Yes, I see your point about it being convenient. IMO when it comes to having an opinion on abortion, I only have one opinion.........I personally dont believe in abortion as an option for myself, but I will never judge someone who is in that position, never. Its very very very personal.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:19 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I believe that we are all sinners and our sins aren't necessarily "guilt-free". If a person has pre-marital sex, or sins in other ways, I believe that God will put that heaviness in his/her heart. It is then that person's decision as to whether they will ask for forgiveness. Also, I am pro-choice for victims and very young ladies who don't use it as a form of BC.  If that doesn't make me a "Christian" then I guess I don't fit that mold, but still believe in God.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• There are married women who have sex with their own husband who would like to have an abortion but don't so stop judging people. Everyone is a sinner so lighten up on the single Christian women. There are more constructive things for you to do with your time than to sit around judging others. How about take care of your kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Honestly I have one child who I take great care of, i am a Christian and wouldnt judge...as I said I was in this situation, but it took a few years for me to see any irony in it...the one thing that i clung to to get out of the situation is what I ignored to get in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Okay...previous poster....You need to take your own advice. Shes simply asking a question. I dont sense judgment in her question...just maybe confusion and lack of information, so dont be so hard on her. To the OP, as christian, let me tell you that if you believe Gods Word and what God says and feels about sex, marriage, life and death, then you know that premarial sex is as much of a sin as abortion, and lying, cheating, stealing,ect. There are no big sins, little sins. Its all just sin. I think most christian women, teens, ect, DO feel premarital sex is a sin, but because the consequences are as immediate, its easier to justify and its harder to see the end result. Its also more tempting. Temptation is not a sin, but the final act is a sin. As someone who had a very hard time resisting that temptation, it was not hard to resist the urge to have an abortion. NO matter what, I couldnt do that. Gods Word is the final judge.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• IDK that 'a lot of xtian girls' are out having premarital sex...people do what people do, and their choices are personal. how they react to their 'sin' is between them and God. sure, it seems most everyone does have premarital sex, but scripturally, that doesn't make it right. same offense, biblically, as murder. i'd be hardpressed to find anyone who strives to live biblically, for real, who would shade the sin of premarital sex, but totally point out abortion as non-negotiable. if they do, i'd agree, op..wishywashy and judgemental of them.
    no one is perfect and without 'sin'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm against both. I also believe if people REPENT a certain sin and strive not to do it again and seek God's forgiveness they will receive it.

I'm a free-lance (that means I don't work for any company) volunteer chastity speaker, so I also talk about ways of dealing with sexual temptations and desires.

MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Why is this only directed at Christians, there are many world religions that condemn both abortion and premarital sex.
    As for my view, adding the sin of abortion to the sin of fornication ( the Biblical word for premarital sex) only makes it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Also sexual sins are often committed without thinking, that is how people get trapped into doing things they normally wouldn't. It has very little to do with a particular religion, but more to do with being human in a sexually charged culture. In the light of day and with cooler heads you can make decisions more in line with your beliefs. So it's not intentional hypocracy but lack of self control. Wrong yes, intentional not necessarily
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I never saw that until you made the statement, thank you!

As they are both sin, I pose the question to you then, if premarital sex can be tempting, can abortion?

I mean, do people lust to have an abortion?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009