Is there anyone else that really doesnt like to keep other peoples kids? No matter how much you were paid? Why do people think of stay at home moms when seeking out potential childcare?

I knew there was a reason that I didnt like to babysit for other people, but I had a friend ask me to help a friend of hers out for this week and possibly longer. I guess I am too nice, but I have never desired to babysit for people despite how much they paid me. I have worked hard to be able to stay home with my kids and at times didnt even eat well because we were so broke. Even then, I wouldnt keep peoples kids for money. I stay home with my kids because I want them to have the benefit being with me for the first 3-4 years of their lives before they start school. I agreed to help this friend of a friend out to see how it went and today is day 3 and its NOT going to work. My son is not okay with this. Are we selfish? Maybe, but this is his home and if he doesnt want to share it, then Im not going to make him. This mom cant afford daycare. Am I the only one that really dislikes babysitting for others? I feel bad for her.

momofsaee4

Asked by momofsaee4 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• oh I have SO been there.

I watched a friend's kids for aweek. it was the most miserable week of our lives!! I was miserable the kids were miserable (mine) hers were little hellions who destroyed my house.

we're hurting for money but I would never do that again - even dh agrees - he came home to a destroyed house, grumpy kids and grumpy wife. no amount of money would make me do that again.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No, your not the only one. I have had several who feel I am already at home so I can keep their kids. I got to the point of not answering the phone, because I knew what they wanted. Oh, and I never got paid. I have finally LEARNED how to say NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I hate kids! I mean mine are one thing, but I can't stand others! I could never babysit or do an in home daycare or anything! There is no way! I did babysit when I was younger, and I hated it then, now that I have my own kids, I hate it more!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Some kids are ok, most aren't. Well behaved kids can be so fun for your children you hate taking the parent's money.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't like babysitting! Too many things could go wrong and I don't want that liability on my shoulders. I know I could make some good money here IF I chose to open my home up as a babysitting service. I just don't think I can handle it really! Too stressful!
    night.magic

Answer by night.magic at 10:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well......where do I start? If YOUR family is struggling finacially then you SHOULD consider watching children for the extra money, that way you are still home with your kids and able to help out with money. If YOUR child is having sharring issues and you don't want to teach him the nice way to play with others then YES that is selfish too. If this is a situation where you are helpping another mom head back to work to help her family with money, then it would be nice for you to watch her child and her your family.
    If you truely can't or won't for long term i think you should until she finds someone else. Think of it as your "good deed" this year.
    I would also keep in mind the good it may do for your kids. Extra money for the home, learning to play well with others, sharring toys and you. You don't want them to be shocked when they go off to school 5 days a week for 8 hrs and are expected to know how to play and share.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I nanny for a family and I bring my DD along. Before having my DD, I wasn't interested in other children, but now, I absolutely ADORE the 2 kiddos I care for! They are like my own. Not only do I love them, but my DD has 2 BFF's. She loves playing w/ her little friends and asks to go see them on our days off. As far as your situation goes...its probably best that you don't care for any other children if you can't open your heart to them. I wouldn't want anyone to watch my DD begrudgingly. If your son doesn't feel comfortable sharing 'his home' then he may be gearing up for some difficult social situations down the road. He will need those socialization skills for school and more importantly, life. GL.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh please...I dont need lecturing on how my child will have issues socializing....I have 4 kids. He is the youngest of them, so hes plenty socialized. Its not my heart thats the problem. I would never mistreat another persons child. Just because they are a child, and they have no voice automatically entitles them to love and affection and a situation that they would thrive in. I totally believe that for my children as well as everyone elses. I just am not the one that he needs to be with. Thank you but I will decide when and where I do my good deeds. Good deeds are only good deeds if your heart is in them. I told this mom I wouldnt leave her high and dry for these two weeks because as a mother, I had compassion for her situation. I really do, but I am not called to babysit other peoples kids. I dont see how someone can think just because I have my own kids and love them means that I am cut out to keep others kids.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Another reason I feel he needs other care is because I dont believe in daycare for my own children. I think if you cant afford daycare or childcare, you cant afford to work. This mother told me up front that she cant afford anything right now, so basically it wasnt like she was begging me with large amts of money. She basically said...um, I cant afford anything. Isnt daycare expenses right up there next to taxes? How can you NOT afford daycare if both mom and day work? In speaking with my dad about doing this for her, he told me something very relevant. He said that if you arent paid to do a job, you will eventually begin to resent the job and you dont want that. Its only day 3 and I already resent the whole thing. Not the child of course. Hes a good kid but he has to be watched every single second. He is just 3 but as soon as I leave the room, hes into stuff. I cant even go to the bathroom or take a shower. Not cool!
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I like some other kids, but in general, I do not like other peoples children. Although, I do not blame the children for that. I blame their parents. Too many parents today let their children run about like wild animals with no manners, no discipline and no structure. I cannot tolerate a little holy terror child. Now bring me a nice mannered well behaved child that is expected to behave and show respect, and even at their worst, I will enjoy time with that child.

I have one friend whose almost 7 year old daughter is such a rude smarty pants that I can barely tolerate a play date with her even though her mother is present.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2009