Who should pay for damages? Parents, teen, or city? What should happen to teen for his crime?

A teenager decides after church youth group that he is bored and takes off before his parents arrive to pick him up. Everyone is frantic and start a search involving 2-3 local surrounding communities and the helicopter with special equipment and some rescue crews from another city (they are deeply in debt and have police officers laidoff). Hundreds of volunteers, fire fighters, police all looked for this 15 yo. 24 hours later he is found breaking in someones home.

Every other teen would be questioned and probably held at denention center waiting for a hearing. However, he is let off and no one is acknowledging what he did. Papers/news say youth found safe vs youth found breaking into home. Now these cities all have a big rescue bill to pay. Why should tax dollars go to pay for this kid to break into my neighbors home? Doesn't this set up people to question the next missing teen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• The teen should be responsible for the rescue bill. I once read an article about a boy hiking and he decided to go off the trail and had to be rescued he now owes the state a insane amount of money for the rescue event. The teen should be responsible for that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• He should have to be doing service work. It wont help pay off the bill but it may teach him responsibility. he can help the cuty save money by having to paint park benches or pick up trash, put away books at the library, wash fire trucks.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If he's only 15, then I think the parents should be libel for the bill. But I absolutely agree that the city should not have to foot the bill.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• not only should his parents pay the bill but the teen should be charged for the breaking in.

Things like this are why our kids dont get that actions have consequences, oh its okay kid you were missing (when he actually took off on his own) and now your found (nevermind found breakign the law) we will just let this go...... and in 3 years people wonder why the kid is in jail for some crime and people will say ..but he was such a nice boy never in any trouble remember when he was missing and then found alive it was a true miracle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• unpopular vote here:: He is 15 and a minor so he should not be held responsible by the city. It's also not really the parents fault either, though I could see how they could be charged as his gaurdian. The child was left in the care of the church and the youth group leaders. The child was left in there care until he was picked up. Why were they not watching him? How did he 'take off' with out being noticed. As the parents if I was charged I would be going to the church and asking them these very same questions. I would be extremely angry at my son for being and idiot and the church for allowing it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If I dropped my child off at school and he decided to vandalize the property or steal from another student or any number of illegal things, it's not the school's fault for "not watching him". As a parent YOU are liable for their actions, regardless of who they were with at the time of the incident. That's the law.
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying hte child shouldnot get in trouble because he should- absolutly! he should have to do comunity service or something of the sort to equate the amount of damage. But as a parent I would want to know hy my child was not being watched in there care and was allowed to wander off.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think the police knew he wandered off and that is why an official amber/adam alert was not issued. The church is very large here that is why I think they were able to get so much help from cities. I think the biggest thing is the helicopter. It's a small town he had to of seen the helicopter with the lights hunting for him unless he was hiding out in an abandon home. He heard his mother's pleas (had an ipod on him they have radio). Not to mention everyone was sending texts/emails begging for this kid safe return. I received probably 20 different emails/cell texts on this kid. I doubted the story when it first came out but then everyone kept writing about it. I felt really bad and actually started coming down on myself for being so cycnical. Turns out I was right that the story didn't add up.

Don't get me wrong I am glad he wasn't kidnapped or harm. I just think he needs to do time like any other criminal would.
    Anonymous

• ...So if the Kid had been kidnapped then would you still think the parents needed to pay? I mean at the time the stuff was issued they had no idea. Yes the teen was stupid but the city did what it thought it needed to do. I think he should be in trouble for what he did yes but I think the city still foots the bill of the search. They didn't even follow protocol. 'While police officers are required to take a report and assess every missing child case, only the children who are believed to be in danger or are under age 13 or mentally or physically disabled are automatically classified as "critical missing persons." ' IF they did not suspect foul play it should have never gotten to that magnitude.
    Anonymous

• The boy and his parents should have to pay it.... He should also be punished for breaking into someones home which the parents should have to pay for any damages that were a result of that.
    Anonymous