• In the Spotlight:

What is so wrong with C-sections?

I understand not wanting one, but why are they really so bad? I've researched and from what I've seen there isn't anything scary about it! I've had a C section, would like to have a natural birth next time... as long as everything goes accordingly! But what is the fear of having a C versus a vacuum? I always thought a vacuum was more harmful than a C.

Can someone please clearify this for me because everywhere I look it's "OH NO! You had to have a C section?!" I just don't get it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• It's major surgery and that's scary! I've had 3 and had no problems. Good luck with the bashing to come with this question! LOL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had a C and I loved it. No problems for me, but I've read some horror stories on here. I've never had a natural birth, so I have nothing to compare it to, accept what I've seen and heard from my girlfriends. I had a friend who was way over due and her husband took his vacation the scheduled due date week. So by the time the baby was ready to come, his vaca was over. She was then in labor for HOURS and HOURS and in great pain. They finally had to do a C anyway. So I guess I'm just happy that I knew exactly what was going to happen and when.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• NOthing is wrong with them when they are needed. I have 2 friends that died during labor, if it weren't for the emergency C-sections, they would have STAYED dead
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Why compare a C-section to vacuum-assisted delivery? It sould be compared it to a normal vaginal birth.

Here are some highlights from Lamaze's position paper on c-sections:

Women run 4 to 7 times the risk of death from the cesarean surgery itself compared with vaginal birth

Complications during and after the surgery include surgical injury to the bladder, uterus and blood vessels (2 per 100), hemorrhage (1 to 6 women per 100 require a blood transfusion), anesthesia accidents, blood clots in the legs (6 to 20 per 1000), pulmonary embolism (1 to 2 per 1000), paralyzed bowel (10 to 20 per 100 mild cases, 1 in 100 severe), and infection (up to 50 times more common).

One in ten women report difficulties with normal activities two months after the birth

Women may develop post-traumatic stress syndrome

http://www.lamaze.org/WhoWeAre/PositionPapers/PositionPaperTheHazardsofCesareanSurgery/tabid/554/Default.aspx
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm w/ u. I had an ELECTIVE c-sect, that's right, I'm a big, fat wussy who didn't see the need 2 go thru the pain of labor. I'm soooooooooooooo glad I did!!!!!!!!! I was able 2 enjoy & participate in the delivery of my dd vs screaming in pain & trying not to kill dh for doing this to me. I plan on having our next one this way too & really don't get the c sect responses either. My response has been; "Wow vaginal birth!!!! You must be crazy!!!!" Ahhhh the looks I get w/ that one...LOL BTW the pain meds they give you make it an even easier decison!!!! Oh yea, to all those who disagree & feel the need to bash me for what is MY choice, don't care if you disagree & express opinion, but for those judgemental b@^$!s out there...I hope your delivery was xtra painful!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Nothing is wrong with them, but they are done far too frequent. One out of three births!! It is major surgery that has risks, costs a lot more than a regular birth, and many drs and hospitals refuse to perform a vaginal birth after a c-section, regardless of the reason for the c.

A c-section saved me and my daughter's life.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Lets look at the economics of c-section vs vaginal birth. Even if the bills are free because you are on Medicaid taxpayers are paying for it or if you have insurance other people that have your insurance pay and that's why the cost of insurance is so high.

Here are statistics from 2005. This is average facility costs only. It does not include anesthia fees, newborn care, or any doctor fees.

$1,624 birth center
    $6,973 hospital birth no complications
    $8,963 hospital birth complications
    $12,544 c-section no complications
    $15,960 c-section no complications

Having a c-section in some hospitals costs $35,000 or more. This may be an elective c-section for a woman that could give birth at a birth center for $1600. In some states she could have a home birth for even less.

That's what is so bad about c-sections for everyone in the US.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• okay someone help me out here,  Zakysmommy- " NOthing is wrong with them when they are needed. I have 2 friends that died during labor, if it weren't for the emergency C-sections, they would have STAYED dead " when you die, how do you get bought back to life??? now flat lining and being resuscitated is one thing but they were actually DEAD and brought back to life??? now if a Csection can bring back the dead I dont see why they wont just send dead people to have Csections instead of the morge?!?!?!

And To OPs Q? I say there is nothing at all wrong with a Csection,  I have had i natural and 2 Cs and the planned C was awesome! the only reason ppl hate on moms who get Cs is because they dont have enough balls to be cut open while they are awake, LOL and they feel like they have to put others down, anyone who has never had a section has no room to dis the moms who have!

sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 11:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The Anon person above that enjoyed her elective c-section should have to pay for her next elective c-section. If she was had to save up $20,000 or more to pay cash to have that elective c-section she just might go through labor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Gailll, since you have all of the stats... What is the ratio of elective C's to necessary C's? I'm sure it has happened, but I've never heard of anyone just having a C just to have one. Seems like it would be VERY rare. I had placenta previa and a C was necessary. Am I to feel guilty b/c a C costs more and was necessary? After all, I have insurance and I pay for everyone else's afflictions that are not my own as well.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2009