I think my Doctor is not telling me everything....

I had an MRI done that showed a cyst. The nurse called today and told me the results were normal. Now I know they are not completely normal because I have a friend that works there and told me the results. I'm not saying anything to him becaue of HIPPA and don't want to get her in trouble. But why wouldn't he tell me the total truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• There's whats considred a normal range & u may fall in that. I told my dr cysts may b common but in no way do i consider them "normal", bunions aren't normal..warts aren't normal...why would cysts b?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Ask for a copy of your results. They have to give them to you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd trust the dr over some layperson's opinion. Besides, what motivation would he have to keep the truth from you? It doesn't add up.
    Anonymous

• Hoenstly, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it were anything serious your doctor would tell you. He has no reason not to and every reason to tell you the truth. But, if you are concerned, I would call him and leave him a message to call you back. A good doctor should have no issue with setting time aside to discuss medical concerns with a patient. I have cysts too and have had them biopsied and all, and they all came back "normal" as fibrocystic changes, and I have a lipoma (fatty cyst) in my right leg that's been there all my life. Is it "normal" to have cysts, no not really like a PP said, but that doesn't mean they aren't benign, which is probably what your doctor meant.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh, by the way, if you are just concerned because your friend told you the results of the MRI showed a cyst, and your doctor didn't mention the cyst, you should also know that doctors can often tell if a cyst is benign by the way it shows up on imaging.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They could have read you another person's result, or your friend could have for that matter. Just do a follow up.
    Anonymous

• Ask to see your file - remember, it is YOUR file. If you have questions you do not think are being answered fully, there are 2 things you should do. One, take someone you trust and is clear-headed with you and go over the questions you have beforehand and two, ask for a second opinion. Take charge of your own health.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 2:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009