Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weaning advice

My daughter is 10 months old. I exclusively BF her up until about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to breastfeed until I felt like it was time to stop, I kinda just left it up to my intuition. Now 90% of me wants to wean her, but the other 10% isn't ready to give up that close bond between us.
She's been taking a bottle with no problem about once a day for the past 2 weeks, and she does very well with table foods.
Any advice on how to cut this first apron string?

Answer Question
 
CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 10:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • It doesn't have to be all or nothing, expecially if you aren't 100% sure. You can continue to nurse her fewer times a day to see if that's what you really want.

    Because if you aren't 100% sure you will regret it.

    She is still a baby. Remember she is still going to need some sort of formula (or milk) if you don't have enough expressed milk to tide her over despite the fact she eats table foods.
    amileegirl

    Answer by amileegirl at 11:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I have found that many moms hit a wall around this age where they feel like weaning. If you push through, you may find that the rewards are great! Not only does the bond get better, but nursing is fantastic for toddlers... when they decide to be picky, or eat like a bird, you know they're still getting what they need. It's also a great comfort tool for calming them down when they get frustrated, or throw fits. And lastly, nothing better than to be nursing if your child happens to get sick. My first got really, really sick at 16 months and I just nursed him and held him all day and he was up and running the next. He stayed nourished, hydrated, got anti-bodies and comfort all in one act.

    Anyway, my advice is to stick it out... at least the next 2 months and then see how you feel. It's like anything in life, sometimes you get tired or annoyed by it, but pushing through leads to even more rewards on the other end.
    LeanneC

    Answer by LeanneC at 11:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Great information here: www.babyledweaning.com

    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I hit that same wall around 10 months and wanted to stop. But we kept going and I'm really glad. As one of the PP said, it's really nice to have it to soothe him, especially at night, and when he's sick or being picky about food, I know he's still getting good nutrition. Also, my son started nursing a lot less when he was about 14 months. So if you're wanting to wean because you're tired of doing it constantly, etc, hopefully it helps to know that she might slow down a lot soon--you'll still be able to keep the bond, but you'll have a little more freedom too.
    Sorry if that's not exactly what you were looking for, but we haven't weaned yet so it's all I've got :) Good luck with whatever you decide!!
    bethany169

    Answer by bethany169 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Just keep cutting an additional feeding every week or so. Do it slowly. You can keep nursing just at night for a while.
    mompam

    Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Thanks for the advice. I have one additional question. I have thought about only breastfeeding at night to soothe her before bed, and she wakes up every morning at 6:15 to eat. When I feed her in the morning I just bring her in bed with me and then she goes back to sleep once she is done. So, I really don't want to give up either of those feedings, but my fear is if I don't feed her often enough then my milk supply will go down and I won't have enough to satisfy her.
    CaylaLU

    Answer by CaylaLU at 6:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN