Why is it that evry year before Christmas we have a big expense come up?

This happens every year to us before Christmas! Last year we had a flood in our basement...cost us around $1,000 to repair. This morning we woke up to a fallen 50 ft pine tree on our garage!! I'm hoping homeowners insurance will cover this!
Does this happen to you?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when it rains it pours. it's always something. when I first got pregnant, my hubby was in an accident. I freaked! co -pays, rate hikes, maybe a new car?!!!!! But it tends to work out well in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They wont pay any of it because they consider it "an act of God".We had a tree fall on our house a couple of years ago.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I wonder the same thing....but its nothing happening to us its dh's boss being an ass.

hope you get it fixed and doesn't cost too much. our insurance covers stuff like that....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• "SHUT UP"....are you kidding me??? UGH.....(not literally telling you to shut up, you know what i mean).
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• That happpened to me last year. Got sued for my ex husbands credit card debt (my name was on card, he was ordered to pay it in our divorce but didnt). I had to go to court Dec. 20th and settle for over $2500. The only way to settle was to write them a check otherwise I had to make pymts on the full $5000 amount. I luckly had the money saved from the previous yrs taxes. It was my emergency money. Ex doesnt eve pay child support and we had been divorced 3 yrs and they still came after me. I cried alot at that time!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh no Mari! UGH!! I hope it doesn't cost TOO much because I think I have to agree w/the first poster about the ins not covering it! Grrr! They didn't pay for the damage to my car from a fallen tree branch a few yrs ago! Grr!!

I will share my story w/you so you will know it's NOT just you! I woke up to a flooded garage one day last week and had to have my water heater relaced as well as some changes done to bring it "up to code" for the city inspection (Ca thing I think).... $1100.00, sigh!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• First off, yes homeowners should cover it. That's what they are there for. Before you file a claim with the insurance company I would get 3-4 state licensed contractors to come out and give you an estimate on repairs. Make sure you show the adjuster the estimates of repairs, so he knows how much you should be expecting minus deductibles and that you have done your homework first. Insurance companies like to screw people around this time of year with the amount of funds received to repair the damages. Most of the time the adjuster will take the lowest estimate and highest, average them, then cut you a check right on the spot.

And yes, when it rains it pours. DH just had mechanical problems with his truck, not covered by warranty. Cost? 6k to repair. I said ahahahaha...no. Go trade it in and get something else. A down payment is less then the repair.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh yeah. As long as the garage is attached to your house or covered under the policy, they should cover it. If a car was in the garage and got damage also, that you have to take up with your auto insurance co.

Good luck mama
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:25 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• depends on what insurance company you go with whether they will pay it or not. one year in June our Central air went out the same week our well died. luckily we have a water pond on our back porch so i had plenty of water to flush the toilets with.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• BECAUSE THE WORLD HATES US :'(
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2009