• In the Spotlight:

Moms whos baby was on soy formula?

My son is almost a year and will be getting off formula. The dr switched him to soy formula at about 4 months old. Cause he wasn't handeling the milk well. My question is how did you transition them to milk. I've heard that they out grow the milk allergy. Just looking for some tips to see how he does on the milk or if i should just go to a soy milk.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• We had no issues with either of the two of mine that were on soy formula. I switched them over a little at a time. For a week I made a 6 ounce bottle-5 ounces formula and 1 milk, then the next week-4 and 2...so on.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 11:00 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my oldest was on soy and had no trouble switching to milk, he was put on soy mainly because he was having breathing problems and the soy really helped. he is 11 now so i dont remember exactly what we did, but i dont remember doing anything special we just bought sippy's and gave him whole milk and he had no problems at all. He did become a bit of a milk monster and loves milk even now lol, he could go through quite a bit of it when he was younger.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:17 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Both of my boys just switched over at a year. They had no problems. I started giving it to them in a sippy cup around 11 months old before they were totally done with formula/bottle (we got rid of that at a year).
    Anonymous

• I started giving foods with a little milk (mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc) around 10 months, and increased it as she handled it well. I started adding some whole milk to the formula around 11.5 months, 1 oz at a time, and she also tolerated that well. So we just kept adding it in, and she's never had a problem since. So if you're already giving things with dairy, she should be fine. If not, start now, and if she handles it, keep going. If she consistently gets sick with dairy, then go to soy milk. But, it's most likely a lactose intolerance, or was, and not an allergy - if it was an allergy, you'd have bigger and worse issues.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was on soy also, when we were ready to switch we tried just a few ounces of milk to see how she would do. when we saw that she was fine, she had no reaction to anything we were ok to switch her. We did do it slow when we put her on it perm. We would do 4oz of form to 1oz milk for like 4 days then 3oz form to 2 milk then 2--3 then 1--4 then straight on milk. have you given him anything with milk like cheese or yogurt or ice cream? if he hasnt had any reaction to those kind of things he should be fine!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Has your baby had foods with dairy or have you waited? If there has been no dairy in the diet then I would switch slowly and cautiously - 1 oz in the rest of the bottle, maybe even just once or twice a day.

Both of my boys had dairy sensitivities and were on whole milk by 14 months.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Both my girls were on Soy formula...My oldest went to milk with no problem but we did have to warm it up for her because she didn't like the cold milk. My youngest (2) is still having a distaste for it and we notice she gets diaper rash after drinking it so were playing with milk and soy milk right now...

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• At 1 year I slowly introduced my son to milk. I would mix an ounce or two with the formula and gradually increase it until he was just on whole milk. He likes his milk warm too. No problems.
    nickat

Answer by nickat at 9:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009