Midwife/Doula/VBAC & Costs??

My question is how much does it cost to have a home birth or at a birthing center,, and do the permit VBACS? and how safe is a VBAC not at the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Midwife costs range but they are cheaper than a hospital birth and yes they do VBAC's. A lot of women who want one have to do it at home because hospitals aren't allowing them unless you put your foot down. The risk of uterine rupture is less than 1% with a VBAC. Pick out a midwife and talk with her about having one. But, if you choose to have a hospital birth, you need to tell them exactly what you want. They can't force you into have a c-section, but you have to be firm. Or, not tell them your plan to have a VBAC until thirty days within your due date. They can't drop you as a patient within those thirty days. j
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My home birth midwife is $2500 and that includes all prenatal care, home birth, and 6 weeks post partum care with lactation assistance.

I'm not a "VBAC" but I have had a uterine surgery. I will be getting some diagnostic assessments as it gets closer to the time to make sure my scar tissue is under control. We have a transport plan if the home birth seems too much for me or if the baby is in distress. My midwife has a heart monitor, oxygen, pitocin, stitching stuff, everything.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• you will have to ask the specific midwife/birthing center because some don't do VBAC. :( sad, right? also about the cost because i have seen posts from women who have their homebirth and all prenatal care for like $1000! but i know it can also get up to around $4000. if you have a good midwife you shouldn't worry about the fact that it's VBAC at all, because she will recognize any signs of uterine rupture. i also think your chances of getting a VBAC are much better not in hospital, and i think that VBAC is safer than repeat c-section... :) look on ICAN's website if you haven't alreayd, and ask people on mothering.com too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• In 2005 the average cost for a birth center birth was $1,624. Most birth centers only take very low risk patients and would not do VBACs. Any birth center in your area should have a website and it may tell the costs and if they do VBACs.

Costs of doulas vary. In my area it's $600. You can go to google and type in doula and your city or state and find doulas. Usually they give their fees and what services they provide.

In AZ there are licensed midwives and CNMs that do homebirths. I have seen some that charge $2000 in my area. In Arizona Medicaid and insurance pays for home births with LM or CNM.

If I was having a VBAC I would want to be very near a hospital. You can always have your baby in a hotel right by a hospital if you know you are quiet.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh and go to childbirthconnection.com. They have some great info on there as well as ICAN.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 9, 2009