My Daughter turned three on October and she STILL refuses to use the potty! SHe'll sit on it if I ask her to, but she won't go until she is off and won't tell me when she soils her diaper! What can I do?

I don't know if she doesn't understand (though I've tried explaining it her a million times) or she just doesn't care. SHe's always had a hard time with communication so I never know weather what I'm saying to her is understood or not.
My younger daughter who just turned two is already telling me when her diaper is dirty AND wants to use the potty! I know the younger sibling can seem to get thing quicker, but my three year old isn't even progressing!

jeweleyez56

Asked by jeweleyez56 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NO more diapers or pull ups during the day. That should take care of your problem. She will find out soon enough that wetting or soiling herself isn't pleasant. You will be surprised how fast she picks it up then. Expect accidents,and don't be too hard. She'll get that hang of it soon enough.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Or, she just may not be ready....just because she is three doesn't automatically mean she's ready...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We had similar problems. My daughter was reading and tying her shoes, before she was out of diapers at four.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd get her out of the diaper. She has no reason to use the potty if she can use a diaper. Just stay home and keep the potty close, get her to the potty any time she has an accident -- she'll get it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009