Should I start on table food?

My son (7.5 months) just moved to a new room at day care and I was surprised that the other babies in this room are all eating table food provided by the day care. Am I behind? The other babies in this room are 9-12 months old. He is physically on the same level or close to the other babies, sitting up alone, reaching, scooting, slithering on his belly. He is on the verge of crawling. Here is what he current feeding schedule is:

6am 6 oz bottle, 3oz pureed fruit, 2 oz baby cereal
9am 6 oz bottle
12pm 4 oz infant juice, 3 oz pureed fruit, 2 oz baby cereal
3pm 6 oz bottle
6pm 6 oz bottle, 3oz pureed veggie, 2 oz baby cereal

Should I start feeding him fruit/veggie or cereal at snack (9 and 3)? Should I start him on "table food"? How should I go about this? He will eat any puree, not picky about any of them. Let me know if you need any more info/details.

kathleen3d

Asked by kathleen3d at 11:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You never have to feed baby food. Babies can start solids on table food. Babies don't need cereal and the jar food is processed, expensive, and most of it tastes bad. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are good first foods. Mash with a fork, put it in front of the baby, and let him feed himself.

www.kellymom.com is a breastfeeding website but it has great info and links on starting solids for all babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can slowly start on table food but to make sure your child gets enough iron in their diet to promote brain development, they need to continue iron fortified formula or breast milk and infant iron fortified cereal until they are 12 months old. At 7.5 months old they don't have many teeth so its ok to let them try some table foods but don't rely on it totally for your child's nutritional needs. Progress one food at a time to be careful of allergies as well.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:46 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My kids were on all table food by 8 months, but it's really up to you. What I did was to feed solids at the three traditional "meal" times along with breastmilk and then have just breastmilk for "snack time" - that way I was pretty sure he was getting enough milk, but still having some experience with solids. It worked really well as far as transitioning him to eating with the family.

Answer by missanc at 12:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Kids are so different. My first was fine on the purees (homemade and store bought and food I mashed with a for) for a really, really long time. My second child would swallow a few bites of food from a spoon, but didn't seem to get what all the fuss was about, until she realized that the rest of us were putting pieces of food in our mouths and she wanted in on it! By 7-8 months we were desperately trying to find things she could safely eat because she wanted NOTHING BUT finger food. Ripe avocado, bananas cut up, peeled and quartered grapes, mango, pieces of cracker, tofu... As soon as her system was ready for cheese we started that, too... she just couldn't get enough. I'd say follow your child's cues, though... if he seems interested in what you're eating and it can be broken into soft, small bites, let him try.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i agree that all kids are different. my son started some table foods by 9 months i think, but my little brother could only eat purees until he was past 1. at 7.5 months i wouldn't worry about it at all. i agree with pp that the most important thing is to make sure he has formula as his main source of nutrition and you can introduce some table foods and see how he does with them :) maybe start with soft green beans and cut up bananas.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009