the one drop rule.

i was looking at another post and someone was asking about the one drop rule...i have a friend and i didnt have any idea what race she was never mind i barely heard of the coutry she was from,but they said her race was determined by the one drop rule.what is this...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you are of mixed decent, filling out a census or form, and you are asked to define your race and can only choose one, which do you pick? You "drop" one.

The only reason I know this is because it was on Tyra yesterday...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I guess it means that even if you have 1 drop (or even a very little bit) of blood in a certain race...you are automatically considered being that race. Like even though Obama is 1/2 black he is still considered black. IDK or sure, I'm just guessing.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

If this were true, you could claim "white" if you were 9/10ths of another race.

The Tyra thing doesn't work for me either, because if you are very mixed, say 1/4 white, 1/4 pacific islander, 1/4 hispanic, and 1/4 black, you have to "drop" three.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was going to guess what Keisha said, and what Tyra said doesn't work either.. Google, here I come.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Ahh, Wikipedia:

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term for a belief among some people in the United States that a person with any trace of African ancestry is black.

It goes on to say that a drop is equal to 1/16th ancestry. It was mostly used in conjunction black people, but also Native Americans when writing segregation laws.

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks!

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2009