How did you stop breastfeeding your baby?

My son is 2 1/2 and im having a difficult time getting him off the breast. I exclusively breastfeed him so trying to switch to the bottle doesn't work for him . But i would love to hear your advice on how you accomplished it!

libraNgemini

Asked by libraNgemini at 11:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since he's over one the bottle is not an option anyway. It would wreck his jaw.

You delay and distract. Offer snacks and cuddles instead of the breast when he asks. That's the best I got, I'm still nursing my 18 month old lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have a friend who when she wanted to wean her 2 year old she put bandaids on her nipples and told her LO that her boobies were broken and they needed time to get better. When her LO would ask to nurse she would say "remember that my boobies are broken and they don't work anymore." After a few days she said that her boobies stopped making milk and they wouldn;t start again until they had a new baby. It worked...her LO was old enough to understand, and while he kept trying for a few days, she said it wasn't an issue after the first week.
    Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• That is so funny! I did that with my son who is seven now! I forgot all about that one! well it has been seven years. But buy all means he is the toughest ! But he is also my last and i hate to see him scream and cry for it ! It breaks my heart and i give in!! I got to tough n up i know!!!!
    libraNgemini

Answer by libraNgemini at 1:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009