How did you stop breastfeeding your baby?

My son is 2 1/2 and im having a difficult time getting him off the breast. I exclusively breastfeed him so trying to switch to the bottle doesn't work for him . But i would love to hear your advice on how you accomplished it!

libraNgemini

Asked by libraNgemini at 11:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months. Start offering him a sippy cup with water at meals; let him have one on his nightstand, too. Let him know that mommy milk is for babies, and soon he won't need it anymore. Slowly cut out the daytime feedings, then the night time.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i havenever wean m butyour child isover 12 mts so no bottles. sippy cups or jormal cupz are good. i do know you drop one feedign a day an dthe last feeding to go is the nite time one. good luck
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Of course you wouldn't switch to a bottle with a 2.5 year old.

There is the gradual way. Cut back one feeding and then say a week later cut back another.
    There is the set a deadline way. We will nurse until New Years. A big prize may be good.
    There is the mommy goes away way. Mom goes away for a weekend and leaves the child with grandma.
    There is the cold turkey way. No more nursing. Usually not good for the child or mom.

What's best is if the child is allowed to wean on their own. Most will wean by age 3.

By the way, exclusively breastfeeds means the child eats no food and drinks nothing other than breastmilk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2009

• well, my DD was 2 when she stopped. She could understand words, so i told her she drank it all. And she believed it. I kept saying "it's all gone, you drank all the milk" then i would ask her if she wants big girl milk in a sippy cup & she always saif yeah & got used to her sippy cup. It was really easy for me. But, again...i breastfed until she was 2. It's a lot harder to explain that to a 6-12 month old.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh, he is 2 1/2.

Yeah, tell him it's all gone, that he drank it all. Worked like a charm for me. Tell him "i'm sorry, they are empty..its all gone" then ask him if he would like to try big boy milk. It really worked in a matter of days for me. But, i understand all kids are different.

Congrats on breastfeeding so long! Your child will be healthy & smart!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• you ahve seven kids and you don't already know how to wean? Is he the only one you fed this long at the breast? He's two and a half. Just say no-no only at bed time and nap time for a while and then switch to a cup at those times to.
    Anonymous

• I would just start cutting back. Maybe drop one feeding a day. Or start making set time instead of allowing 'all access'  He will get it in time.  I would switch to a cup not  a bottle though. 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• IMO he should have weaned already.... All of ours went to a cup at 12 months on their own. I felt they were getting enough nutrients from that and the food they were eating. I'm afraid you are more of a security thing now and it's going to be a bit more difficult to break him. When he gets the urge to nurse give him something to change his mind. Like a small snack and drink. Eventually it will break the habit. GL Oh and switching to a bottle isn't a good idea, then you will be in this position again after he gets hooked on that.. JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• At this age, you might want to try "don't offer, don't refuse". I really don't know how to wean, other then child led.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Don't offer, don't refuse. It's the best option for weaning without major tears. Or you could just wait it out, until he's ready. Either way, both gentle ways.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009