middle of the night screams

my son is 11 months old and wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and I dont know what to do I give him medicine thinking its his teeth I give him a bottle to see if hes hungry and he still screams as if something is bothering him or frightened by something in order to calm him down I have to craddle him and if I try to put him down he screams again and grabs onto me for dear life he has never done this before until this week the past three nights have been sleepless nights for me can someone please help???????

vjeffers12

Asked by vjeffers12 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• both my kids did this when they were teething....the first few times with each child (i have two) I was worried sick because they would wake up in the middle of the night screaming like they were being hurt or something was seriously wrong... then when we got calmed down...(usually by the time the sun was coming up) i would notice every time a new tooth had broken thu. just be patient....they are screaming like they have been hurt because they ARE being hurt by the new tooth....try giving the tylenol b4 bed time...this should help with the teething...dont wait till they are in agonizing pain. ( but only if u know for sure he is teething) i hope this helped...
    Anonymous

• Are you against cosleeping? He sounds like he needs you.
    MommaAmsel

Answer by MommaAmsel at 12:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I am not totally against cosleeping but I do want him to know that his crib is his bed and my bed is my bed, I dont want him to get spoiled by sleeping with me so when I lay him down for the night it is in his crib.
    vjeffers12

Answer by vjeffers12 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My DS did this (he's 19 months and still does from time to time). I can pop 2 teething tablets in his mouth, rub his back and he goes right back to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• kids do that sometimes..... by now he should not be eating during the night though *(no bottle), if you think he's teething, i agree with the pp who said give tylenol before bed so he won't have that problem. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• He could have an ear infection. My kids do that when they have them.
    Anonymous