Is anyone else going thru this??

My son is 5 1/2 months old.he was throwing up last week like virus sick not spit up..and then since saturday he has had a runny nose and a little congested...He threw up again yesterday but it was just mucus and he has had trouble sleeping and being fussy..so i called the doctor last week and they told me that they would leave a note with the nurse cause they couldnt see me and she would call me back but she never did and then i called back again yesterday and they said that i couldnt get an appointment cause the doctor has every tuesday off and that i needed to call back this morning and so i did and they gave me a doctor appointment for 10:10 am and i had some car trouble and couldnt get there on time so they said that if i come in a would have to wait a long time so just dont worry bout coming in..like seriously i am sick of these doctor this has been happening for ever.Should i switch doctors now or after his 6 mon checkup

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd check out other docs. I changed doctors 6 times before I found the right one. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Now!! I have never had to wait more than a day to get into the dr for a sick baby visit. NEVER!! Usually if I call early enough I get in that day. Our pedi has a rule too that if you are more than 15 minutes late to reschedule - that is common. But why wait until his 6 month check up.... if you are going to change drs - then go a head and do it now.

Oh and I hope baby feels better soon
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Aww poor baby. He is so tiny and you feel bad for them throwing up like that. When my little boy had congestion and stuffy nose, my doc told me to elevate him while sleeping. So I put a couple of books under his mattress. The doc also told me to use saline nose drops (www.huggieshappy baby.com). You should trust your instincts if you want to switch doctors.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Wow. I don't know where you live ... my daughter-in-law's dad is single-handedly keeping open 6 medical centers which would otherwise have closed, and he is every year asked to help yet another one which is being closed.

This makes him a very successful businessman, but it also shows the trouble our health care network has been in for the last decade or so ... rural areas USED to have sufficient medical facilities, but no longer !

Doctors SHOULD be able to keep enough of the money they earn to stay in open, and not to have to practice in a couple of different locations (taking Tuesdays off) to keep from going bankrupt. My own boss has only 5 employees, and he pays over $4000.00 in taxes EVERY month - that's enough for him to employ two more people. ... And it's hard to imagine how much your doctor has to pay for insurance against malpractice lawsuits.

If you have access to another doctor - certainly try him/her !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter is going through that too. but all of her bottom teeth are coming in. did you check that?
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 1:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I would switch doctors ASAP. My doctor is horrible about getting in adults and is clueless about breastfeeding (and admits it!), but has personally called me several times about questions and the one time I thought I should take him in for something he saw him during his lunch break.

If this is a pediatrician, try a family physician.. If this is a family physician, try a different one.

As far as your baby being ill goes.. Watch the fever - call doctor at 102 rectal or 100 armpit - over 105/103 go to the ER after giving tylenol, 106/104 you submerge baby in tepid warm bath, give tylenol, and call 911. Watch hydration carefully (look up signs of dehydration in babies - a key one is less than 3 pee diapers in a day, it's less than normal because babies with fevers sweat a lot), run a cool-mist humidifier or take baby into the shower, give probiotics, & lots of love!! Good luck mama.
    Anonymous

• sophea vomiting and vomiting mucous is NOT a symptom of teething.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I think that's terrible-- you should definitely look for another doctor. I would consider taking your baby to a childrens clinic at least while you search for a new doctor so that he can get some relief. Hope he feels better and good luck to you!

momof2km

Answer by momof2km at 11:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009