Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! We are renters, and the windows on our house are TERRIBLE! They are covered in ice on the INSIDE... waht to do?!

Not only is the house super cold (the heater just to maintain 60 turns on at least 10 times at night... we've been using space heaters b/c our gas bill skyrocketed!) and we live in Colorado, but the windows condensate inside and there is a ton of ice inside the windows, and if we warm it up, water drips down the wall to the floor. We live in fort collins CO. any suggestions

is this something we just have to deal with or are there codes requiring the landlord to fix the problem, with new windows or something? and if so, could he jack up our rent to pay for it?

Answer Question

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 8 (212 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • don't know about codes? But you can get those plastic covers for windows.they suck to look at but help keep the cold out

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • If you find out let me know! Sounds like our problem!

    Answer by ali_1107 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Call the Fire Marshall and ask him about the codes. The landlord has to maintain a standard. Those standards should be included in the rent.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • You have to look at your lease and see what is covered. If nothing says anything about the windows or care of the home/apartment then you can tell your landlord but they are not obligated to do anything. I would get the plastic to cover the windows as someone else suggested, and go possibly to social services or an agency like salvation army and see if there is any help in the area to help get better windows or help with your bills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • The plastic ones that shrink when you blow them with a hair dryer may work good if you can put them up in the cold.

    Hang insulated curtains or blankets in the windows.

    Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • You should call your landlord, and advise him/her. Chances are the person doesn't know it's bothersome, and if you have a lease or have made an agreement to the price of rent, he would not be allowed to raise that because you are not comfortable in the house. The homeowner is responsible for making the home livable and reasonable. If your bills are growing, and if you are not able to function in the house, the house can be considered uninhabitable, and if worse comes to worse, you may be able to go to court to either get help alleviating costs you have accrued due to the damages to the home, or termination of the lease.

    Most likely, if you contact your landlord and ask if there's anything they can do to solve the cold problem, they'll be on it pretty quick. If it's someone that won't fix the problem and won't let you out of the lease nicely, I'd take a tube of caulking and caulk all the way around the windows, the glass,

    Answer by matobe at 12:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • OP here: we have tried the plastic coverings to no avail! The insulating is crappy therefore even the walls are condensating and the plastic won't stay. ANd the outside plastic isn't doing anything, either.

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • and around the sills and seals. Make sure you take it off the windows before you leave. Admckenzie had a good point, call the fire marshall and see what the codes are.

    Answer by matobe at 12:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I do not know about the legal aspect of it. But closing the curtins or blinds will keep some of the heat oin or cold out. I will sau one thing MOVE when you can.

    Answer by louise2 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • As a renter you should know your rights. I dont know where you find this information out though. Your state should have some kind of publications that they can send in the mail. Call your local library to find out. Asking the fire marshall is a great idea and he might give you information on who to call.

    If you call your landlord, make it documented. Write a request, copy it, and mail it. Call him/her on your cell phone and keep that months telephone statement as proof that you made a call. I hope he is a good landlord though.

    Check your doors also. I have rented a place where the bottom of the door was misbuilt (or something) and cold air was leaking in.GL!

    Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden

Next question overall (Entertainment)
What was your favorite movie of 2009?

Recently Bumped in Life & Home
Goodbye Ladies!