Cry it out/rocking-- just curious

I still rock my one year old til he is sleepy and then put him down (sometimes asleep, sometimes not). This process doesn't take more then 5 minutes. He sleeps thru the night 90% of the time. He sometimes gets up and i give him a hug/rock him and he'll go back down.

If you were to do cry it out, what do you do at night when they get up? Or do they more then often then sleep thru the night?

For people who did rock to sleep, when did you end this? Do you have any problems with your child going to sleep on his own now? Can you leave your two/three year old with his blanket/lovie and he/she will go to sleep?

This is just curiousity. So, please let's be respectful of others views.

BLB329

Asked by BLB329 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I rocked my child to sleep until 15 months. After that I put him in bed and I read to him until he fell asleep. It usually takes a couple of pages. 90% of the time he will sleep through the night. Sometimes I put him to bed and read to him for about 10 mins and hasnt went to sleep. So I tell him that im going to bed goodnight. Most of the time he will go to sleep on his own. Sometimes he wont and cio does not work. We let him cry and scream for an hour once and that was the last time.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• To get out of the rocking habit, one of us had to lay down with DS. (he coslept) until he fell asleep. Just now at 16 months, we got him a twin bed. We still lay down with him (in his own room) until he falls asleep but he is now sleeping through the night alone in his room. I think it was the perfect transition for us. Sometimes he wakes up and I just lay down next to him or ignore him (each for about 3 minutes) and he goes back to sleep.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I rock DS nearly to sleep, much the same as the first poster...but only for naps and once before bedtime. Since DS no longer sleeps through the night as milestones have been affecting his sleep patterns, I have been giving him water in a bottle at night to put him back to sleep. But I'll rock him until I feel it's time to change... we have tried CIO, but since DS has to sleep in the same room as us, (2 bdrms in the basement, and the basement is cold.) on the top floor, and DH has to be up at 530am, it's terribly inconvenient for us. We may be willing to try again when we move and DS can have his own room.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I never rocked my twins to sleep, ever. I do not get the bouncing kids while holding them or feeding them. We do eat or sleep while bouncing or rocking. When I was pregnant with my kids I did not bounce or rock. I walked, sat, ate without bouncing or rocking. I do not get the point or bouncing or rocking a baby.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2 years old now. We used to hold her, feed her a bottle and kinda rock her to sleep right up to a year. One night she fell asleep without the bottle and we never gave it back, and we started letting her cry it out. Now we just lay her in her bed with her blankie and her favorite stuffed animals and she knows its bedtime. Goes out on her own. If she wakes up at all at night, it's not really that she woke up...she'll cry in her sleep and we just leave her most of the time...it lasts like 30 seconds and she's out again. We don't go pick her up because if we do...she wont go back to sleep. But my son who is 6 months old...we do NOT rock him to sleep. He goes to sleep on his own. I didn't want him getting used to being rocked. Now we can lay him down and he goes out by himself too.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter didn't ever respond to rocking -- she'd arch her back -- she was a crazy one to try to get to sleep. She would fall asleep on the breast but not really transfer in any reliable way. The ONLY thing that worked for her was helping her to learn to put herself to sleep which, I stress, was not letting her cry herself silly... If we soothed (reading, singing -- AFTER nursing), she could be put down into her crib calm but awake. Usually she would just babble herself to sleep (she still does this, at 2.5 years old -- she'll fall asleep in the middle of a discussion with her stuffed animals about Christmas), but occasionally she would fuss, even cry, for a minute or two before she'd switch into babbling. So then once she was no longer needing to nurse through the night, we would let her talk, cry, or fuss for a few minutes until she went back to sleep if she woke up in the night. Rocking her just made it worse (lol).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I am a fan of rocking.. sticking to what your child likes before bed time helps ease them to sleep. We don't rock (but not by choice, DD started trying to jump out of our arms around 13 months so we altered out pre-bed schedule!) but we take from her cues when she's ready for bed.. if we know she's sleepy we let her cry for a few minutes and then she zonks out. We used to run to her when she cried in the middle of the night, but we stopped just recently. We found that after the first few days, she stopped waking up in the night, and if she does she cries for about 15 seconds and falls right back to sleep :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I stopped rocking Chloe around 7-8 months. She just turned 2 and I cannot remember the last time she didn't just go to sleep when I put her in her bed. She never wakes in the night. My son is 5 months old and I haven't had to rock him since he was a new born. He goes to sleep when I put him in his crib.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I rocked my son to sleep until he was 14 months old, at that age it became impossible to transfer him to his bed asleep and he started refusing to sleep, we transferred him to his own room and he has been sleeping fine ever since. I cant do CIO, it goes against my instincts to do it. He was ready for his own space and didn't need me to fall asleep anymore, he is 29 month old now.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We never did cry it out. My son is almost 2 and I really only have to rock him to sleep if he is sick or having a bad time teething. I usually lay down in bed with him and nurse him to sleep. Sometimes he'll just want to cuddle for a bit before he drifts off.  I can't just tuck him in, turn out the light and leave, but it only takes me about 15 minutes to get him down so it doesn't bother me a bit.  I guess some people would think this was too inconvenient but it works for us. :)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2009